Is Coronavirus keeping you from booking liveaboard/overseas trips this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good for you! Which liveaboard?

Calico Jack.

Yes great outcome. Someone mentioned above this is not as good as refund but I think given the circumstances it's great response from the LoB. They didn't have to offer anything. We don't want the refund, we want to reschedule to when it's safe to travel. And hopefully no one goes bust, but no doubt tough times ahead for everyone working in tourism.

Reactions: Dan
Thanks for the info. +1 for them. Sounds like a win-win situation.

I’ve been to Raja Ampat 8 times. The 9th time will be in February 2022 with Blue Manta. I have never been on Calico Jack. I may consider it in the future.

My next trip will be on French Polynesia Master in May. I’ll wait and see until it gets closer to the departure date as United, the flight that I’ll be using to go to Papeete, emailed me this:

E8FFE107-CC36-41A4-82ED-41768B94EF9C.jpeg

My son is upset -- they are closing schools across the country but my son is homeschooled so he still has to go. he thinks he should be off too

@flyboy08 when I first read your post I thought it said Dave Matthews LOL (hes my fav)
Just remind him its sounding like they will be bout a half year behind him.

Also number of deaths can be unreliable.
For example here in Italy if a patient dies having other pathologies, but being infected by COVID19, it is counted among the deaths, even if the cause of death was not directly due to the virus. In Germany it is counted only if COVID19 was the direct cause of death.
This explains why the death rate in Italy is very large, and instead it is very small in Germany.
You don't "die" of Covid-19.

Its the bilateral pneumonia that does it.

I had 98-107 dives planned for a trip to Indonesia that I am having to cancel. The final financial hit is pending. Most operators (whether airlines or liveaboards/resorts) are being pretty good about offering a reschedule or voucher with one holding out. I won't name names for now until it is completely resolved, but what a bummer. My travel policy covers all aspects of cancellation and interruption, etc., due to COVID but I purchased 6 days too late for it to apply. I might have some coverage through my credit card though it might be a stretch, but it will depend on what happens with that op and if I will need to try to go through that avenue if they refused to reschedule.

I know how you feel OOO -- at this point I am wondering about my upcoming trips -- maybe it would be better to cancel them now and recoup most of the money or wait it out and see what happens. Now that Honduras has closed it's borders for the next 2 weeks possibly longer, I don't know if my trip is going to get canceled or not.

I did however buy travel insurance, but when I called to inquire about what is covered and such I was on hold forever.

Same boat here. I can cancel this week and forfeit 40% or risk it and see if a) the trip goes or b) the LOB is flexible given the situation or risk losing 100%. I am having a really hard time deciding between the two.

I know how you feel OOO -- at this point I am wondering about my upcoming trips -- maybe it would be better to cancel them now and recoup most of the money or wait it out and see what happens. Now that Honduras has closed it's borders for the next 2 weeks possibly longer, I don't know if my trip is going to get canceled or not.

I did however buy travel insurance, but when I called to inquire about what is covered and such I was on hold forever.

Same boat here. I can cancel this week and forfeit 40% or risk it and see if a) the trip goes or b) the LOB is flexible given the situation or risk losing 100%. I am having a really hard time deciding between the two.

I would actually try reaching out to your agent or provider (depending on how you booked) to tell them about your dilemma. They may offer you a solution up front, such as - paying the balance, and if it goes forward, great, but if not, they will offer you a reschedule. See what is possible. In this strange and new situation, we all have to be a little creative and think differently than usual and it never hurts to ask and see what your options are. There might be a solution that you might not have thought about and vice versa. Pitch it to each other. I think they would also appreciate being informed and being a part of the decision. We can get through this!

Actually that's exactly what I did. I offered a couple of options since I figured they could use the cash flow, but with the understanding that if something uncontrollable comes up (country closed, etc.) they will be flexible and let me reschedule. Still waiting to hear back. I figure that's a win win for both parties so hopefully they will at least consider it. I figure they would rather have 100% of my money when they need it and are suffering reduced bookings than 40% of it and no chance of me booking with them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom