Is a Student "Entitled" to a Certification just because they paid for a course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason McAnear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Divers!

So what are your thoughts... I know it happens. Are you okay with that? Had an experience with a DM or Instructor which made you wonder... who certified you??????

JMac

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you go to a Dr. who got there degree because they could afford medical school?

The only thing the student is entitled to is a quality education, rather they can pick up the knowledge and skills has nothing to do with it.

Would you go to a Dr. who got there degree because they could afford medical school?

Q: What do you call the person that graduates at the very bottom of their medical class?
A: Doctor.

Q: What do you call the person that graduates at the very bottom of their medical class?
A: Doctor.

And the person that didn't graduate is call a pharmaceutical salesman with a mountain of debt.

Absolutely not. There are people who may want to SCUBA dive (or at least think they do) that should never become certified divers. SCUBA classes are an educational experience... if one can't master the skills (assuming reasonably good instruction), then they should not be certified... period. I paid a small fortune for my education (up through my Ph.D.). However, I never expected that simply by paying for instruction, I was guaranteed a passing grade and a degree.

Thanks drbill.... I had to share that one on the radio show this morning. Great response! I actually had two individuals (from one of our dive shops here) BANG on the window of the station and flip me off when I asked, "How can a dive shop advertise "100% of our students pass their IDC"?" I just have to question that 100%....... really? Everyone passes????

I'll go with the masses-cert is earned; you pay for the opportunity to learn the skills and earn it. Not sure about passing rates for IDC, but I will say that the instructor that did my wife's OW claims that in his umpteen years of OW instruction, he's had exactly one person not finish. And, IMO, he goes about it the right way-he spends time with them to make sure that the student actually learns, rather than simply checking the box. No additional cost; all he asks is that the student put forth the commitment to learn. (and again, before being flamed as a noob, I know IDC and OW are apples and oranges) but my point is this-IF the instructor and student are both willing to put forth the commitment, a near perfect rate seems plausible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom