Is a DIN first stage the same as a converted one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dandestroy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

kind of a newb question, buth I rather ask then buy the wrong stuff;

I want to know if I buy a regulator with a yoke, and I convert it to DIN (using a converter and not an adapter), if this the same as buying a DIN regulator right from the start?

thanks

What is a DIN adaptor?? It is either full time DIN or you buy the converter and temporarily make it a yoke.

Dan, you can "convert" a DIN regulator to yoke by use of a "DIN adapter". That is, you screw an adapter onto a DIN equipped regulator and it works like a yoke.

There is no "yoke adapter", that is, you do not attach anything to your yoke regulator to make it fit a DIN tank. There is, however, a "donut" that comes with most DIN tank valves to allow you to use a yoke regulator with that valve.

Your LDS will be able to show you these things so you can decide what you want to buy.

In my opinion, a DIN regulator with a DIN to yoke adapter is the most varsatile and easiest to use. The DIN to yoke adapter will set you back less than $100, unless you buy a titanium reg, and want a titanium adapter. That will set you back about $250.

Have fun and spend lots of money
Frank

Dan, you can "convert" a DIN regulator to yoke by use of a "DIN adapter". That is, you screw an adapter onto a DIN equipped regulator and it works like a yoke.

There is no "yoke adapter", that is, you do not attach anything to your yoke regulator to make it fit a DIN tank. There is, however, a "donut" that comes with most DIN tank valves to allow you to use a yoke regulator with that valve.

ok you are getting me confused already...lol

Ok let me get this strait;
1-) there is something called an adapter, that you screw on the DIN to make it temporarily work like a yoke.
2-) there is also a kit converter, to semi-permanently convert a system to an other

So back to my question, would converting a first stage permanently to DIN would be the same then buying a DIN regulator, or would it always remains a yoke regulator with some kind of converter piece (like using an adapter but better)?

thanks for detailing this for me

As I understand it if you change a yoke Aqualung 1st stage to DIN you lose the feature that seals the inlet when not in use. If you buy the reg in DIN new it still has this feature. This may or maynot apply to other regs too.

good to know, I'm looking for atomic B2 or ST1, so if anyone as any pointer on this DIN/yoke topic let me know.

As I understand it if you change a yoke Aqualung 1st stage to DIN you lose the feature that seals the inlet when not in use. If you buy the reg in DIN new it still has this feature. This may or maynot apply to other regs too.

No, that's not the case with the Aqualung regs.
I recently purchased a Legend Non-ACD in yoke, but also bought a DIN ACD conversion kit with it. It only took about 5 minutes to swap it out and now it's how I want it. But be careful when you buy the conversion kit, there is both a DIN ACD and DIN Non-ACD version. The ACD version has a spring in it.

Converting a Yoke reg to a DIN reg typically involves partially disassembling the first stage. The yoke portion of the reg is removed and the DIN portion is installed. For all intents and purposes it is now a DIN reg. There may be a few exceptions with regard to special features as noted previously but I don't think it's something to worry about.

It may be simpler to think of Connectors and Adapters/Converters. This is not entirely consistent across brands and that's half the confusion.

The connector(often called adapter) is the "permanent" part of the regulator that connects it to the valve. It may be DIN or yoke. Generally (I don't dare say always) any regulator can be changed from one connector to the other for about $50. with the use of a few hand tools. Generally (if not always) this results is the same regulator you would have if originally bought with the desired connector.

An Adapter or Converter is an accessory bought for use with a DIN regulator. It is essentially an yoke connector with a female DIN thread. You screw your DIN regulator into the adapter and voila it will connect to your yoke valve.

This item comes at the expense of making your regulator longer which in some cases makes it a head banger. It also introduces 1 more o-ring seal to the system which in absolute terms is 1 more potential failure point.

Savvy DIN divers often own alternate yoke connectors and swap them in for trips where they will have to use yoke valved cylinders. It's not usually a difficult task if you are at all mechanically inclined and someone shows you what to do the first time.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom