Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I’d like to know is what dive can not be made without a computer. Let alone a dive to 15m inside NDL. As for the analogy that you can’t leave your neighbourhood without a car, is laughable. Are people serious.

What I’d like to know is what dive can not be made without a computer. Let alone a dive to 15m inside NDL. As for the analogy that you can’t leave your neighbourhood without a car, is laughable. Are people serious.
Any dive on a boat that requires a computer for divers.

What I’d like to know is what dive can not be made without a computer.

Several charters in SEFL require a computer in certain situations. The one that comes to mind are the 3-tank charters. The operators that run those trips require both Nitrox & a dive computer.

Several charters in SEFL require a computer in certain situations. The one that comes to mind are the 3-tank charters. The operators that run those trips require both Nitrox & a dive computer.

Good thing OP is in Australia, then.

If you stay shallow, use a small tank, and have a long surface interval, you don’t need much at all. As they said back when: “you can’t get bent on a 72”. No need for depth gauge if you know you’re staying shallow. No need for timer if your tank is too small to stay down long. No need for tables if you don’t track your depth and time. No need for SPG if you use a J valve. (Okay, maybe not that last…) If the very limitations of the situation prevent you from even being able to reach dangerous levels of saturation, why carry a gadget to keep track of it? For that matter, why buy an expensive wetsuit when you can glue one together yourself with a pattern in a magazine?!

That old-school sleek minimal look has a lot going for it as long as you stay on the very “rec” end of the rec-tech spectrum. You should probably buy a computer anyway though because pushing things further is a lot of fun.

The question I asked is what dive can’t be made without a computer.

I think you misunderstood. The boat has a rule that prohibits divers from doing the dive without a computer.
Then do the dive without that boat or computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom