Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hand write letters on good paper all the time. But I still use a Perdix. :wink:
Well done a hand written letter is a lovely thing to receive. I’ve personally never needed a computer to dive and enjoy planning my dives on paper. The post I was referring to was implying there’s something wrong with a hand written letter or diving without a computer. Using a computer is a personal decision but it’s not essential.

I use one every dive for one main reason... logging the dive. The profile information goes to my phone then I add the rig, tank, weight and exposure suit info (I dive different setups frequently enough to want that information as reference). The flexible NDL is nice but planning and knowing the basic limits and profile of the dive is still important to know how to do manually.

Having one also doesn't automatically negate the need for analog gauges. I always have a SPG (my computer is air integrated), dive watch and depth gauge on me especially on new dive sites where I could hit the NDL before running low on air.

I was certified in 1980. I use a slide rule to keep my tables from blowing off the shelf. Diving is a fun, recreational sport. If you are diving above 50’ and using a single AL 80 and are not a 115 lb teenage girl, probably don’t even need a watch. But it is a sport and you want things that will add to the enjoyment and reduce stress. A computer, even a cheapo, will make life less stressful. Buy one, you are going to spend more money making other, far more regrettable purchases than this one.

A computer will log some information but not specific info that you may need. Photo of a shore dive with info I needed to record including shoreline and underwater features. Very hard to beat a written log.

Attachments

• B2B84B8D-2D15-4CD5-8805-1427412A64EA.jpeg
    B2B84B8D-2D15-4CD5-8805-1427412A64EA.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 53
You don’t really need a computer on those dives for technical reasons, but in this day and age even a cheap computer makes more sense than a watch/timing device and an analog depth gauge, and here’s why.
Regardless of the square profiles of tables, by the time you buy a timing device (unless you already have one that is suitable for diving) and an analog depth gauge which are not that cheap anymore and a bit harder to find than they used to be, you will be paying slightly more that just getting a cheap wrist computer.
The single component computer means less crap on your wrists and if you really still want to run tables then just switch it to gauge mode and dive tables.
A cheap wrist computer even makes more sense than a digital bottom timer (like a Uwatec) in this day and age.
For some of my shallow shore dives I don’t use anything other that just looking at my SPG.
My reasoning is that why take it if it can get beat up or lost if you don’t really need it. I dive those sites all the time and know the depths by heart. I can pretty much tell you how long I’ve been down just by how much air I’ve used. Tank air is always the limiting factor on those dives.

I still have a plastic Dive table card attached inside a BC pocket and look at it from time to time, mostly out of nostalgia..I think planning dives and calculating pressure groups for repetitive dives is an essential skill. However, I believe the computer on my console has a much better handle on my actual nitrogen loading than the chunky pressure group bins. And if you believe that waiting one additional minute of sit to get you to the next pre dive group really means you get an extra 5 or 10 minutes your fooling yourself

As a new diver, you probably already know that diving can be a real money pit because there are always other divers that will tell you "Oh, you must have (fill in the blank)" piece of dive gear. As far as computers are concerned, please understand there are millions of divers throughout the world who do not own, rent, or know how to use a computer, yet they have fun and safe dives. I believe many divers that frequent this board are anomalies in the dive industry, and most likely have some serious money tied up in their dive gear. I had the advantage of learning to dive before accessibility to items that seem critical today, such as octos, bcd, computer, so when I finally got certified in 2010, I bought gear based on wants rather than needs, and to increase the safety margin for old guy diving. You will also quickly learn that you are really the only one that can decide what you want or need to make your diving more fun, comfortable, and safe. Once you decide what items are critical for the type and frequency of diving that you plan to do, the only guidance I would give is to buy quality gear once (new or used) after a lot of research, and preferably using the specific piece of gear you are considering.

Back in the 70s all I had was a watch and depth gauge and I never had any problems.
I never have any problems walking around my neighborhood. For longer trips, I prefer my car. Diving with tables does not create a problem; it simply limits what you are able to do.
I think planning dives and calculating pressure groups for repetitive dives is an essential skill.
Why is it essential? I was certified about a quarter century ago and then took a trip to Cozumel, where I discovered it was impossible to use the tables on any of the dives we did. When I later became an instructor, I taught students to use those tables and helped them use them on their training dives. I know how to do that supposedly essential skill, but I have not done it on any of my personal dives since I was certified. If I had no clue how to do it, it would not make a difference in my diving.
Once you decide what items are critical for the type and frequency of diving that you plan to do,
That is correct. For the dives the OP is planning, he really doesn't even need tables. If that is the kind of diving you plan on doing for the rest of your life, you absolutely do not need a computer. As I said above, if you never plan to leave your neighborhood, you don't need a car, either.

It’s fine to dive tables if you understand how tables work. However there are many places that will require you to use a dive computer and will rent you one if you don’t own one. Better to have one of your own and understand how it works and what all the indicators mean.

@Boofymac

Kodak moment to celebrate!

We (ScubaBoard citizens) have gone four pages without sliding off into the bickering ditch and the spectrum of advice reflects sound, principled suggestions (IMO).

I think @boulderjohn provided a valuable illustration - how far do you want to travel? Simply around the neighborhood or might you ponder what lies beyond familiar streets?

Me? I was born with the explorer gene so it was only a matter of time before I would look beyond conventional boundaries and a PDC become essential. I have the skills to easily enjoy a shallow shore dive without a computer but I still carry one to digitally log the memories.

As @Altamira sagely pointed out, at the end of the day it will be up to you to make a decision that supports your intended dive profiles.

Learning is winning.

Best of luck in your journey.

Back
Top Bottom