Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you using a rotary phone? Do you long for the days of doing long division on paper? Do you pay by check at to he grocer? Do you write long letters in cursive to dear friends, licking the envelope to seal it, and afix the postage? Then yes, by all means stick to the tables, and mechanical gauges.

But seriously, do you need a computer to dive multi day repetitive dives, no. Will it make life easier, certainly. Will it extend your bottom time, only if you let it, and you have the gas. Do you need the latest super mega awesome "all the tech guys are using it" computer, hell no.

Are you using a rotary phone? Do you long for the days of doing long division on paper? Do you pay by check at to he grocer? Do you write long letters in cursive to dear friends, licking the envelope to seal it, and afix the postage? Then yes, by all means stick to the tables, and mechanical gauges.

You win the internet today :rofl3:

I'd prefer to spend my time below looking around at fish, coral, sharks, rays, etc than worrying about checking my tables and working out how long I might have left. Wrist computers can be cheap these days. My Seac Action was like AUD$250. It does what I need and you can use it as an everyday watch if you like. It beeps if I do something stupid to let me know I'm doing something stupid which is great. Saves taking my wife along for the same reason!

Make life easier, not harder!

Tony

A very basic wrist dive computer was my first post-certification gear purchase. I was really glad to have it.

No computer necessary. My late adoption of the dive computer was due to primarily making the same dives you are doing. It won't give you the bottom time a computer will, but if you are having a good time, who cares. When I started doing boat trips, I picked up a dive computer to maximize my bottom time.

Need?? absolutely not, I was to cheap to buy a computer when I started diving,,
But computers have come down in price so much since then, you probably be just as cheap to buy one vs a waterproof watch or something, unless you own one already,
Look for a used one, or ask your dive store about buying a rental computer, they often upgrade, and will sell the old rental reasonably,
If you know you are going to be diving alot, get one, if its 2 or 3 times a year, forget it,
I know you are not to use your buddy's, but if your a real buddy's not same ocean,
Then your buddy's computer will be very close to you,
but you should know your times with a table, it's your responsibility,

You mention shore diving, so no, you don't "need" a computer for the reasons others have stated. Now, if you were boat diving, you would need a computer so you don't look like an idiot pulling out dive tables.

Back
Top Bottom