Is #24 line strong enough to pull flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Someone recently gave me a Dive Rite Deco Reel with what I think is #24 line. I was thinking about using it to pull my flag (not sure if it will actually be more of a hassle or not). Is #24 line strong enough for pulling a flag? It seems pretty wimpy compared to my thick nylon line that I currently use.

Greg

24 braided line has a break strength of 230 lbs., so I suspect that this would be more than adequate. :)

How negative can you be if you hang from it?
How much thrust can you develop if you swim it against a current
Sudden moves can create shock loads.

Personally I prefer braided polypropylene on a winder since it tends to float above and stay out of the way.

Pete

Yeah, I was curious about some of these ratings as well. I was asked if
I wanted to use my reel with a tow flag a few weeks back but the reel I
have has a smaller diameter line than the line on my spool.
I declined on using mine until I found out the rating on the line on my reel.
My newer xs scuba smb has a 50 lb. lift capacity so I even wondered
on that using the reel with the smaller diameter line. Not for lifting but just
how much strain would be put on the line deploying and in current with the
smb on the surface.

Yes.

the K

Thanks for all the responses. I was going to test it out today, but pussed out after that "floats above comment". I envisioned myself tangled in 150' of orange line.

Thanks for all the responses. I was going to test it out today, but pussed out after that "floats above comment". I envisioned myself tangled in 150' of orange line.

It's a problem. As a rule a taught line is not too much of an entanglement hazard, but loose line is NOT your friend.

I've still managed to snag a fin strap or tank valve on a taught line, but you can usually figure it out. (stop & think. Resist the urge to turn around, or you'll make a lovely spindle....)

Keep this in mind if you are diving in places where they long line and you get the bright idea to clean the reef. I carry EMT shears whenever I expect to deploy a reel or find line in the water. (Usually 2 pairs. You can buy them in bulk on Ebay for ~ $2. The first is for cleaning up or rescuing sea life. The second is only for self rescue in case I make a mess of things and then drop the shears.... :)

Note: Breaking strength is for new line in ideal conditions. Knots will easily cut that in half. So will fraying and age. But 50# is a realistic working limit. In practice, I can't see being more than 5 or at most 10# negative while dragging a float, flag or SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom