Iridium (and other coated) lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife chose a mask with iridium coated lenses and likes it. ... the mask seemed to have a calming effect for and I like to keep my dive partner happy. They have worked great for her in CA's sometimes murky 10-20 viz and also for travel diving in the Caribbean where viz is 100+.

It's been over 2 decades using Cressi Masks for me
Cressi also has some masks that accept the Tusa and the Scubapro correction lenses
They have a great silicone that compresses and seals without distorting and collapsing
Straps and buckles are smooth and easily adjustable

And I've used all masks

Cressi skirts are superb

full.jpg

I love them!

The fact that the ability to make mask with coatings like iridium has existed for quite some time, but has not caught on to any degree, based on the plethora of mask brands/models for sale and in use throughout the world that do not have this feature, should tell you something.

If you think it is cool and would be useful, then buy one....then post a review about your experience, either positive or negative. A little over a year ago there was a dryglove system I wanted to know more about (fourth element ellipse) but there was not much info other than ad copy available. I sprung for a couple of sets (for me and my wife), dived with them and posted a review....in the end I didn't like them and have traded one set to someone who was interested in them.

Cheers.

-Z

I might end up doing just that haha

If I don't quite like it, I could still keep it as a backup mask (since I have none right now and it's very low profile).

My wife chose a mask with iridium coated lenses and likes it. ... the mask seemed to have a calming effect for and I like to keep my dive partner happy. They have worked great for her in CA's sometimes murky 10-20 viz and also for travel diving in the Caribbean where viz is 100+.

Thanks for sharing! As per above, I think I will buy one and try it out.

Reactions: Zef
Hello diving community,

I recently saw the Cressi Zeus mask with iridium coated lenses and it got me wondering what it was for.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of coated lenses?

Thanks!

Spearfisherman often use mirrored lenses to prevent fish from watching their eyes, and work best in clear, shallow, and bright conditions; and also help eliminate backscatter. On the down side; they are not the best option in low light or low visibility environments, and may require more delicate care. I used to have one with a funky orange iridium coating, which I think was made by Scubapro. It looked cool, but that was about all. It didn't even last a full trip before it got scratched up; plus it leaked and was not that comfortable. I would look for something with a low internal volume (close to the face), good fit, and a wide/clear field-of-view; which typically means "frameless". Any other features over these basics are up to you.

I have probably owned around 35-40 masks over the years from all sorts of different manufacturers, and all have been a compromise to some extent. Ultimately in-water performance is the bottom line. Personally, I do not like bulky framed masks, masks with multiple lenses, or masks with clear skirting.

My current favorite is the plain black Atomic Venom Frameless because it fits, its comfortable, is good on leakage for my face, and provides a great view; but just my preference.

Hope this is helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom