Iridium (and other coated) lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsmike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello diving community,

I recently saw the Cressi Zeus mask with iridium coated lenses and it got me wondering what it was for.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of coated lenses?

Thanks!

It’s there so you can look extra cool on the surface and a few other pluses as they will push in the advertisement, some are nice but most don’t matter.

The disadvantage to any coating is it can get scratched and at that point, if the scratch is bad and in your line of sight it’s pretty much toast, not a reason to reject it if you like it and it fits you well.

What I think would be more useful is photochromic dive mask, so one is not blinded by the sun and glare off the water after surfacing on a bright day.

I assume this has been tried before, but a quick search didn't find much.

-Z

I bought a pair. They were neat, I didn't pay the extra $20 for the coated ones after I lost them...

It’s there so you can look extra cool on the surface and a few other pluses as they will push in the advertisement, some are nice but most don’t matter.

The disadvantage to any coating is it can get scratched and at that point, if the scratch is bad and in your line of sight it’s pretty much toast, not a reason to reject it if you like it and it fits you well.

They really look cool, though. I guess that the coating is internal, rather than external. Got to be careful for sure!

What I think would be more useful is photochromic dive mask, so one is not blinded by the sun and glare off the water after surfacing on a bright day.

I assume this has been tried before, but a quick search didn't find much.

-Z

From little information that I got from it, the Iridium version of the Zeus is, apparently, anti-glare and a UV filter as well.

I bought a pair. They were neat, I didn't pay the extra $20 for the coated ones after I lost them...

Did you find it problematic to have the coating? Was there any noticeable light loss or weird colors?

From little information that I got from it, the Iridium version of the Zeus is, apparently, anti-glare and a UV filter as well.

I was referring to lenses that darken automatically when exposed to bright light.

-Z

I was referring to lenses that darken automatically when exposed to bright light.

-Z

Ah, like those "transitions" lenses. I guess it would be possible to add them like you would add corrective lenses. That would be really cool.

Reactions: Zef
Remember that any tint on a lens is reducing the visible light reaching your eyes. No filter is perfect at filtering what you don't want and letting through what you do. We have enough light loss due to depth. You are further hindering your ability to see at depth with anything but a crystal clear lens.

Remember that any tint on a lens is reducing the visible light reaching your eyes. No filter is perfect at filtering what you don't want and letting through what you do. We have enough light loss due to depth. You are further hindering your ability to see at depth with anything but a crystal clear lens.

Sure, but for recreational depths it wouldn't be a problem, or would it? I guess that's what I would like to know from people who have had 1st hand experience.

Sure, but for recreational depths it wouldn't be a problem, or would it? I guess that's what I would like to know from people who have had 1st hand experience.

The fact that the ability to make mask with coatings like iridium has existed for quite some time, but has not caught on to any degree, based on the plethora of mask brands/models for sale and in use throughout the world that do not have this feature, should tell you something.

If you think it is cool and would be useful, then buy one....then post a review about your experience, either positive or negative. A little over a year ago there was a dryglove system I wanted to know more about (fourth element ellipse) but there was not much info other than ad copy available. I sprung for a couple of sets (for me and my wife), dived with them and posted a review....in the end I didn't like them and have traded one set to someone who was interested in them.

Cheers.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom