iPad or Netbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

furby076

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted this question on another forum and since I am asking for opinions i am copying it here (so if you've seen it on the other place you know why):

So when going diving I would like to be able to copy my pictures from my camera to a different storage device. This would have two primary purposes 1) clear up my memory stick, and 2) ensure if my camera gets flooded I do not lose pictures taken earlier. A secondary advantage is to allow me to view my pictures after the dive.

Given that my laptop is too big. It is a dell XPS and those are desktop replacements. I already have enough to carry on the plane (divecaddy, plus camera bag) and then I have my checked in suitcase.

So I am looking to get a Netbook or iPad and could use some opinions.

iPad
-More expensive
-Smaller/lightweight (1.5 lb weight)
-64GB storage

Netbook
-Cheaper
-Slightly larger then iPad (2.5 lbs)
-100-120GB storage

As I am typing this I am thinking the netbook would serve me better but I am looking for opinions.

Thank you

I have no doubt a netbook would serve your purposes better. There is limited connectivity on the iPAD for one and my notebook, Samsung 10.1"screen, weighs 1.178 kg. Relatively easy and cheap to upgrade size of hard drive if you need to. Mine serves as my logbook, just down load the dives and cross reference photos, can't imagine why anyone keeps a paper logbook anymore.
On the other hand the iPAD is way more cool.

If you want a slate computer you could wait a couple months for the HP slate. It is supposed to be a full-functioning Windows 7 computer with the form factor of a slate.

If you don't want to wait, by all means get the netbook.

I have an HP and a 2.5" 320GB USB powered external drive ($70) since my netbook has 16GB of SSD storage. The drive is thinner than my cellphone and fits in a shirt pocket. So if storage is an issue...

I also run Photoshop on the netbook - can you even do that on an iPad? idk...

I'm also a big fan of having a real keyboard as I have big fingers. The HP had better spacing than some of the others I tried.

Yea I think I am leaning towards the netbook (asus has some nice ones).
JB - What program do you use to download your dive logs? I used to use oceanic's version but that software is just plain crap...It would constantly delete my information.

Thanks folks!

I have the HP netbook and like it. Don't own and haven't played with an ipad. Looking at the two, the open slate/window concerns me. Especially during travel when the chances of dropping or stepping on your bag is greater.

I believe the issue of storage has been answered by diversteve. Thanks btw. I was considering an external drive.

I had a tablet computer for a few years. It worked fine and the little bit of time I spent carrying it around, it was handy. But when I wanted to sit down and type (faster for me than using the stylus) it meant hooking up a keyboard, hooking up a mouse, and propping up the tablet. I finally got tired of it. I just purchased and Asus eeePC 10005PE-PU17, for pretty much the same reasons you're looking for. LOVE IT! Cost me less than $400 (at NewEgg.com) and it's supposed to have 16hr battery life. I don't know about 16 hours, but I have had it on all day with power to spare!

I had a tablet computer for a few years. It worked fine and the little bit of time I spent carrying it around, it was handy. But when I wanted to sit down and type (faster for me than using the stylus) it meant hooking up a keyboard, hooking up a mouse, and propping up the tablet. I finally got tired of it. I just purchased and Asus eeePC 10005PE-PU17, for pretty much the same reasons you're looking for. LOVE IT! Cost me less than $400 (at NewEgg.com) and it's supposed to have 16hr battery life. I don't know about 16 hours, but I have had it on all day with power to spare!

Hmmm, it comes in pink for any of you girlie girls out there :wink:.

I don't own the iPad and don't plan to get one until version 2.0 comes out. I've had pretty bad luck with first generation Apple products. Nevertheless, I have been very impressed with the company's customer service. The Genius Bar is a fantastic resource for Apple customers.

The large screen of the iPad would be fantastic for viewing photos. Most people will probably get some sort of book cover + transparent film to protect the display...much like owners protect the iPhone display.

The iPad doesn't have a standard USB connector, so you'd have to purchase the iPad Camera Connection Kit for $29. (I wonder if this kit would work with an iPhone or iPod Touch.) The old 2005 iPod Camera Connection Kit, which looks exactly like the iPad version, worked at super slow USB 1.0 speeds. No one liked it. The iPad Camera kit almost certainly runs at USB 2.0 speeds. It promises compatibility for photos in JPEG and RAW...but I wouldn't trust it to be compatible with all RAW formats out there. In any case, the iPad Camera Connection Kit won't even be available until the end of April. I'd wait until some people post some reviews about how well the iPad works as a camera backup device.

Going with an inexpensive, reliable netbook would probably be a safer bet for now. Most netbooks have an SD card slot so you wouldn't have to remember to bring along any extra dongles/card readers. Since netbooks usually have more than one USB port, you could very easily generate multiple copies of your photos onto thumb drives, SDHC cards, or external hard drives.

I just picked up the Asus Eee PC. I like Asus laptops (got one for my fiancee). Now just waiting to find out what dive software JB uses :)

Thank you all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom