iPad or Netbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I am using the divecaddy and need a small bag for my laptop, canon g11, canon underwater case and sealife strobe. Any refcommendations for a bag that would fall under the personal item list and hold those pieces?

The iPad is probably the ultimate cabin companion for mid-long haul flight :D

- It's super light (<1kg)
- Very slim (to slip into your carry-on luggage or the magazine pouch in front of your seat)
- Great for media consumption (books, magazines, videos, games, etc)
- Great form factor, no need to use the tray table or your lap to set it down and fiddle with folding/bending it when you need to store it for food service, bathroom breaks, etc.

But, as many have mentioned in this thread.. it's limited storage (64GB max), connectivity (no RJ45 jack) and software (cannot sync your dive com) makes it of limited use for long dive trips.

Personally, I always bring mine on trips. I just buy extra memory cards for my camera so I don't need to download them to a hdd til I get home :)

ps: I also bring a mini pocketable wireless access point for hotels without wifi (But has network jack)

I haven't used an iPad but have 2 Asus EEE netbooks (both 9").
I stopped having a paper divelog some years ago (initially using my pocketPC) and my divelog is on my Windows based PC's. When I go away diving for a weekend (or longer) I take my netbook and dive computer interfacing cables with me.
I wanted a Windows based machine because of the existing software I have on my desktop and a netbook for its upgradeability/hacking...In one netbook I added internally both Bluetooth and a irda transceiver (later a touchscreen) whilst in the other netbook I have upgraded it with a 64GB SSD memory (both netbooks have 2GB of ram and a 16GB SDHC card in the available slot).
I understand that the iPad is good (list not exclusive) for the web, Ebooks and just, well sexy, but I think I will continue on the netbook-front..my next one with a HDMI connector so that I can output to a TV.

Netbook all the way! I did 4 months diving and traveling (over 26 flights!) this past winter with an Acer 1410 netbook. It was amazing I used the thing a few hours a day perfect size does everything a pc does except a cd but i dont own any cd's anymore. The battery last over 5 hours which is fine and i could transfer and edit images when traveling. Plus unlike an ipad i can just browse the web and login to my newsgroup service and DL the latest Howard stern or TV show.

I cant recommend a netbook enough plus for less than $400 its a no brainier. Ipad is so limited and over priced.

Right now you can get it got under $300!
Gateway EC1803u Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Solo ULV SU3500 1.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, 11.6" Display, Vista Home Premium, Black $276.77 after bcb and ebill rebate - SlickDeals.net Forums

I also just picked up a Kindle for $109.

Netbook - Apple may not let you do what you want in the future unless they get a cut on each sale!

Seriously they are so restrictive in their business practices they make microsoft look like angels!

Back
Top Bottom