iPad or Netbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted this question on another forum and since I am asking for opinions i am copying it here (so if you've seen it on the other place you know why):

So when going diving I would like to be able to copy my pictures from my camera to a different storage device. This would have two primary purposes 1) clear up my memory stick, and 2) ensure if my camera gets flooded I do not lose pictures taken earlier. A secondary advantage is to allow me to view my pictures after the dive.

I've just ordered a Memory Kick from Reef Photo. It will download from your memory chip and it can transfer to a portable drive or a flash drive. It will also display RAW format images as well as play music and video and store whatever information you might have. It's supposed to be more advanced than the Epson or JOBO devices and according to Ryan at Reef Photo they are quicker to update their programming. You can get up to 500GB of memory.

MemoryKick :: Products

I would recommend that you store to more than one device. You don't want to take all of your eggs out of one basket only to put them in another that fails.

We now travel with 2 netbooks. It used to be 2 laptops and an external harddrive but the Little Cayman weight restrictions got us to go the netbook route. Having 2 allows us redundancy, and the ability to look through, process, and choose our own pictures to upload during the trip. As well as, keep connected with friends and family via the internet and not have to share!

No way would I ever own an 'i' anything that wasn't given to me for free. I only have a shuffle because it was a Christmas present. Proprietary, and over priced gadgets just aren't worth it for me.

On a similar note, I would love to see this happen! YouTube - Will It Blend? - iPad

I see you already purchased an Asus, but for reference:
You might also want to look at the ThinkPad X100e, very small (11.6" screen) but the same sturdiness/robustness as classic ThinkPads, very affordable (about 450usd~), and they come in black :wink:
Can't post links yet but Google "lenovo x100e", first page.

I love the concept, but for almost the exact same cost you can get a netbook with a 64 bit processor (not the atom), 2 to 4 gig of ram and a 500 gig hard drive.

I use 64 gig pen drives for backup... fairly cheap at Sam's Club

Having a complete computer on the road is nice...glad we got one.

I've just ordered a Memory Kick from Reef Photo. It will download from your memory chip and it can transfer to a portable drive or a flash drive. It will also display RAW format images as well as play music and video and store whatever information you might have. It's supposed to be more advanced than the Epson or JOBO devices and according to Ryan at Reef Photo they are quicker to update their programming. You can get up to 500GB of memory.

MemoryKick :: Products

I would recommend that you store to more than one device. You don't want to take all of your eggs out of one basket only to put them in another that fails.

We now travel with 2 netbooks. It used to be 2 laptops and an external harddrive but the Little Cayman weight restrictions got us to go the netbook route. Having 2 allows us redundancy, and the ability to look through, process, and choose our own pictures to upload during the trip. As well as, keep connected with friends and family via the internet and not have to share!

Little cayman weight restrictions? I take it their plane?

I see you already purchased an Asus, but for reference:
You might also want to look at the ThinkPad X100e, very small (11.6" screen) but the same sturdiness/robustness as classic ThinkPads, very affordable (about 450usd~), and they come in black :wink:
Can't post links yet but Google "lenovo x100e", first page.

That looks like a great computer. I like THinkPads - expensive, but solid devices. The maroon color was not my first choice, but it's growing on me :wink:

I love the concept, but for almost the exact same cost you can get a netbook with a 64 bit processor (not the atom), 2 to 4 gig of ram and a 500 gig hard drive.

I use 64 gig pen drives for backup... fairly cheap at Sam's Club

Having a complete computer on the road is nice...glad we got one.

Isn't the purpose of the Atom to be more energy efficient? How much battery power can you get from a full 64 bit processor?

On a side note I purchased the Diving Log 5.0 - scuba logbook software for diver - dive log, scuba log. It seems like a great utility and it will import the logs from many dive computers (including my atom2.0). What I really like about it is the data file is an .mdb (MS Access) which means I can straight copy it to a backup device. It has all the other fun features of a good dive log, including online backup. Anyhow just wanted to throw that out there for those interested. :dork2:

Cayman airlines allows 55lbs/person checked and 15lbs/person carry on. And, don't plan on getting your luggage right away! Anything over those weights you get charged for and it's pretty cheap but the issue is having it fit on the plane.

Excellent. Diving Log finally released their 5.0 version. We've used the 4.0 for a couple years now.

Hi furby076, unfortunately I have no magic software and just use the standard Suunto DM 3.x. Thing is I got one of the first Suunto EONS in 1995, after only about 10 dives and so have all my diving history on their software. It works but is not a particularly polished program, and of course is only compatible with Suunto products. I'm sure there are better shareware programs that are compatible with a variety of makes of dive computer, but have never looked at them myself. Sorry couldn't help. Cheers

JB:
Hi furby076, unfortunately I have no magic software and just use the standard Suunto DM 3.x. Thing is I got one of the first Suunto EONS in 1995, after only about 10 dives and so have all my diving history on their software. It works but is not a particularly polished program, and of course is only compatible with Suunto products. I'm sure there are better shareware programs that are compatible with a variety of makes of dive computer, but have never looked at them myself. Sorry couldn't help. Cheers

You've been a great help. You should go download the divelog I linked. They give you a 10 dive max trial period...obviously it won't capture 99% of your dives but it will let you know if its compatible. The biggest problem with old software is that it eventually stops working on more modern systems. I am surprised your software, which is probably 8 or 16 bit, still works in todays 32/64 bit systems.

I really liked the Suunto Dive Manager software. I used it with my first computer, a Cobra 2. Suunto site says 3.1.0 is the current version so there shouldn't be any issues with 'old software'. The Diving Log software imports the logs from many different programs including the Suunto Dive Manager. It also supports direct download from numerous computers. When switching from the Suunto Cobra2 to my Uwatec Galileo Sol I decided to go with Diving Log which was capable of logging from both of my computers. I have never used it to download from the Cobra though so I'm not sure about that part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom