Invitation to Dive Ginnie 5/24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Myself and ABQdiver (from New Mexico) are planning a dive trip to Ginnie Springs on Saturday, May 24th. Not sure what time we are leaving in the morning, but probably early to there at 9:30am at the latest. We'll figure that out later.

This will be an ow dive for us. Probably do the Ginnie Basin and the Ballroom. Do a drift dive down the shallow spring run to the river and back. And then do some dives around Little Devil, and Devil's Eye and Ear. Also we will stop by EE to check out the shop.

Who would like to join us?

Wendy

Sounds like a lot of fun. It will be fun to meet some other Scuba Boarder's.

How about Dr. Jay and Fallen Matt?

I'd love to join you guys, just as soon as I figure out what's going on with this cavern course I'm planning on taking.

Who knows, it may even be on the day you are planning on diving, and as far as I know, the course is held at Ginnie Springs.

I'll give you guys an update just as soon as we find out what's goin' on.

KBeck once bubbled...
Is it an appropriate dive for a novice--me, of course!

I've never been up there and feel just about ready to try new things; but don't want to get in "over my head"-- :D

My gear is basic recreational stuff.........if it matters.....

:)
This is a new location for me, so I can't speak to all the dive details (I'll let one of the local experts do that) however as Wendy mentioned, this will be an open water dive since some of us are not cavern certified at this time. At least speaking for me....

Your equipment shouldn't matter as long as your comfortable in it.
Love to have ya come!

i will put it this way.. the dive in the ginnie, in the main cavern, is one of the largest caves that is open for open water divers, you can even bring your lights in there (try that in a state park! :) )

so if you never dove in the springs, want to get an idea about cave diving, and whatever else your reason may be it is pretty cool dive :)

last time i went there with Dr. Jay we did 3 dives in one day (mostly because i made a promise to him that i won't nag him about staying for night dives anymore if we do this tiny little last dive of the day @ ginnie :) )

And visiting Extreme Expousure is a pretty good way to develop a bad case of credit card balance :)

Krista,

This dive will be fine for you, come on up. You can even crash at my place if you need to.

FallenMatt mentioned that this is a cave, actually the ballroom at Gnnie is a cavern. They have a large rope you follow in and out, you can see the entrance and daylight at all times. This is the only cavern (or area) at Ginnie that ow divers can carry a light. There is a grate permantely blocking the cave entrance so no one gets into trouble, it fun trying to swim up to the grate and hold on, its like swimming up into an open fire hydrant. I beelive the fee to get in is $25. The dive shop on site only has air (right?, its been awhile), but Nitrox can be filled at Extreme Exposure on the way if you need it.

I believe its $27 now ($20 for Cave Certified).
Actually if you go in the back room & turn off your light, it feels very much like a cave. There are several places that get completely dark.
Max depth at the grate is approx 54'

Actually if you go in the back room & turn off your light, it feels very much like a cave. There are several places that get completely dark.

Ok, I was feeling positive about trying this out til you said "completely dark"......as a point of reference, I keep a nightlight in my bedroom cause I hate the dark. EEEEEKK!
Really guys, I'm not hopeless, I swear! Actually, I have one of those handy handy lights that attaches to your mask....does that make me "in" with the cavern/cave crowd?!!? :boings: :D (I know, I know, j/k....)

Anyway, I'd love to join!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom