Intova 3W LED Dive Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[FONT=&quot]I just ordered two intova lights and have been researching upgrade possibilities. This one looks like it could be a possibility (205lm at 700 mAh) and from what I’ve read the R2 is very efficient.
VolumeRate: VolumeRate Wholesale Gadgets
I kow it is a little large at 19.83 mm but what are the chances that you could sand down the edges of this star and make it fit in the light?[/FONT]

I think the 16mm CREE Q5 is Cheaper,(The Original heat Sink is 19mm) So, you may have to add a circular 19mm metal plate for support. The R2 Bin is so expensive and May not run brighter than the Q5 if you don't have a good Drivers. Also, With CREE, the original reflector may produce a different light beam. I've never mod with a CREE.

Is this the same as this one? for $26.22

The lanyard is a bit different from what I bought, but otherwise it looks identical. Buy one and let us know :wink:

Not sure about that charger. CR123A batteries are *not* rechargeable. I think there are rechargeable batteries of similar size, but can't remember their voltage. Various circuit boards for controlling the current to the LED require/tolerate different voltages. Rechargeable batteries may or may not work with the controller in the Intova.

Henrik

The lanyard is a bit different from what I bought, but otherwise it looks identical. Buy one and let us know :wink:

Not sure about that charger. CR123A batteries are *not* rechargeable. I think there are rechargeable batteries of similar size, but can't remember their voltage. Various circuit boards for controlling the current to the LED require/tolerate different voltages. Rechargeable batteries may or may not work with the controller in the Intova.

Henrik

Thanks.

What is your review of Intova Torch? is it bright? are there anything brighter for it's price?

I think this was posted on this forum topic, but I want to confirm that this charger will work for the Intova Torch. Can anyone confirm this? Thank you.

4 Pack RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery with Smart Charger

Thanks.

What is your review of Intova Torch? is it bright? are there anything brighter for it's price?

I think this was posted on this forum topic, but I want to confirm that this charger will work for the Intova Torch. Can anyone confirm this? Thank you.

4 Pack RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery with Smart Charger

Yes, It is ok. The Intova use 2 CR123A which is 6V. Same as the Rechargeable you had mentioned. My Friend used 2X3.6V Rechargeable also works fine also.

Using the Rechargeable (900ma), the run time from the torch will be shorter than the non-Rechargeable CR123A (1300ma). {more power}
Also, It is important to recharge the Battery when your light goes dim, or it will overdraw the rechargeable and damage it.

The Seoul SSC P4 Z-LED Emitter (U-BIN)
From the official spec. 700ma will give about 160 Lumen. A Double of the original.
At 1A It even give 220 Lumen
DealExtreme: $5.80 SSC Seoul P4 (U-bin) SW0 Bare Emitter
The Link is for the emitter only. You may find the emitter with a 18mm star board also.
To Fit the Star board into the socket of the intova(17mm), you must wear away the edge of the star to fit in.

Sorry, I'm new to this, so I have alot of questions to ask.

The LED runs on "3.7V typical driving voltage"
- If I install this onto my Intova Torch, does it still run on 3W batteries? and how long (estimate) will it burn for?
- Will the default star and heatsink on the Intova Torch support the modded LED?
- What is the average burn time for non-rechargeable and rechargeable batteries?

Thanks.

Runtime on standard CR123 Batteries ...
I just got word from Intova that the burn time has been averaging 12 hours and will be rated at 10 hours
Runtime on rechargeable will depend on the milli amp hour rating of the batteries, you can see that they are less than the disposable ones ... higher is better
Disposable

1300mha CR123 for $1 each .. TITANIUM CR123A 3V LITHIUM PHOTO BATTERY

1300mha CR123 $.99c each ... Primary Lithium Battery: CR123A 3.0V 1300mAh Photo / Flashlight Battery - LM-CR123A

1550mha CR123 $1.49 each ... 1pc Panasonic CR123A 3 Volt Photo Lithium Battery 1550mah from $1.15 each!

Rechargeable
4 rechargeable 900mha CR123 and charger $28.95 (more batteries @ $3.95 each) ... 4 Pack RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery with Smart Charger
NOTE: because of the lower mha ratings, your run time will be shorter with rechargeable,

Case
Hard Shell Case for carrying loose CE123 batteries (new TSA Regulations) ... Hard Shell Battery Case for 12 CR123A Lithium Battery ( Titanium CR123A battery Case)

Thanks Z :D
And I think that the LED driver in the Intova is a 700ma at 3.7volts one so if you change LED to another one, it will be driven at nominal voltage at a 700ma current
Keep in mind I'm using a bit of guesswork here, but .. the LED in the Intova looks just like this one ... Luxeon LEDs - LXHL-LW3C Luxeon III Star - White Lambertian and if you look at the specs for that LED, it says 65Lum at 700ma .. and 65Lum is the specs for the Intova light, so ...
I'm assuming that the driver in the Intova is a 700ma one
The figures for the output for other LED's I've listed are are at a 700ma level

I received my two intova lights the other day and am impressed with their brightness. I spent a lot of time trying to remove the head from the body of the light with no luck. I believe that intova has changed their design slightly, which includes a better lanyard and a glue or the like on the threads of the head assemble. I had two strap wrenches and a friend trying to remove the head and it wouldn’t budge. The lanyard that came attached to my light seems pretty robust to me, is attached to the inside post of the bottom cap, and there is no sign of a thin key ring. If anyone has any other thoughts on this please let me know. Thanks

John

John; mine sounds like it's a build similar to yours. I've had no luck - yet - in disassembly, but I have a few more ideas. My main problem is that I can't get a good grip on the light body - strap wrench etc. just slips.

I've tried various "liquid wrench" type products with no luck. I also tried heating the light head *very* gently with a heat gun - again no change.

It is entirely possible that Intova has started using some sort of Loctite product on those threads, although since there from a production standpoint is no need for one, maybe not ...?

I'll get it another one or two tries and let you know how I make out.

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom