Interesting Use of Scooters at Ulua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foggy Mask: some people prefer safety (and training standards) to perfect streamlinedness... I'm sure you'd prefer your buddy were less streamlined and carried an octo, too -- just in case.

I can just about guarantee you those consoles were clipped off -- and if you expect rental gear to have hoseless computers, you're really smoking the weird stuff.

Additionally, the PADI Instructor Manual (General Standards and Procedures, p. 11) states:

During all open water training dives, instructors and certified assistants must also have a timing device, compass, knife/diver’s tool (except where prohibited by law or local regulations) and two surface signaling devices – one audible (whistle, air horn, etc.) and one visible (inflatable surface tube, flare, signal mirror, etc.).

(emphasis mine)

It is *very* likely this was a DPV Specialty or DPV Adventure Dive relate to a PADI program -- hence the requirement for the signal tube.

The point that was being made is that the scooter in the back is less drag than the scooter in the front -- but really, what do the "danglies" matter in this case? You're not having to use extra energy to kick it... the scooter does that. And as long as you're on the scooter, you're not gonna be dangling the stuff on the reef... so what's the beef?

Pretend like you know what you're talking about and put words in my mouth? Okay, good job on that. I'm happy to know there will always be someone around to assume and twist.

TFM: it's obvious YOU missed the point by the initial poster about decreasing drag, and have failed to admit that, instead deciding to lash out at people.

Nobody said that just riding a scooter reduced drag. In fact, it could be the complete opposite... especially in conventional-style riding.

Read my post again, and you might understand that everything you were complaining against is one of those "that's the way it is is in this world" sorts of things. If you want to reduce drag beyond that, go for it... but there's no reason to start flaming people here.

archman:
Well then, explain for all of us how you get a nearly 50% endurance increase merely by shifting your scooter rearward.

When you are hanging on to the handles, even decent body position scoops water into the open chest and the lower body drags (a little) in the thrust. Sitting on it, arms hugging BCD, decreases frontal drag by well over a third and clears the thrust path, 50% sounds high but plausible (don't choke the inlet area with your legs).

Holding still or video cameras increases drag and decent strobe systems are more of a hassle. Each use of the camera (raising arms) further increases drag but there's still less drag than hand held and you get to shoot while cruising! Starting and stoping can bang the housing on occasion, over all; win, win, win, oh well.

TheFoggyMask:
Pretend like you know what you're talking about and put words in my mouth? Okay, good job on that. I'm happy to know there will always be someone around to assume and twist.
Dude I could care less if riding that way reduces drag or increases it or if you're right or wrong but it's obvious you walked into this thread with an attitude. Bad day for you going in? Sorta looks that way.

Throw some tanks on and clear your head. Life's good when the nitrogin is building.

Hey Fogster, have you ever even been scooter diving? Have you ever rode one like this? Try it you'll like it! You can argue the point all you want. The truth is You will get longer running time because this is a more efficient way to ride the scooters. Stop whining and strap one between your legs. You'll see what we're talking about. I've been on over three hundred scooter dives. Take my word for it, rear propulsion works better than front pro-pullsion (hey, I think I made a new word today!!!)

TheFoggyMask:

GREAT! Now we know you respond to posts. Do you have a photo of you scootering and how you do it? It looks to me these folks were DIF diving, not DIR, so in their own right and respect, they were doing what made them happy. DIF is Do it FUN by the way.. most folks don't get to wadded up about a DIR look/stance unless they plan something a little more advanced than say, the Spiegal Grove exterior.. to each their time and place, and the best thing about any good diver is they are open minded and aware to know when one or the other is more appropriate.

Click on Foggy's profile, look at his recent posts. There is certainly a pattern. Angry guy.

yup... the good old SADS is kicking in for my countrymen.

Ah well. Did you read his profile? Pretty spiteful and high on himself there, too.

Back
Top Bottom