Interesting Use of Scooters at Ulua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdb:
Al: Glad you are enjoying your Hawaii diving. That is a great picture of hands free scooter riding. Using a saddle will increase the run times, decrease drag etc.. Plus it is a lot of fun.

www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/UWVehicles/AV2_Scooter.htm

You're telling me those scooters are "reducing drag" when they've got surface markers, consoles and whatnot buzzing around them like flies? Riiiight...

Al -- you beat me to the identification!

FWIW, around the Maui Dreams crowd, that is referred to as "Supermanning" -- and as Mark said... it is *really* cool!

Those are likely the AV-1 scooters -- MDDC owns one AV-2, but honestly, having used both, the AV-1 is more comfortable than the saddle on the AV-2 (for me at least). Not to mention that AV-2 suffers from creeping featureitis -- like 12 different speeds (rather than just 3 with the prop pitch selector on the AV-1), the saddle and, due to a redesigned switch, a much greater likelihood of it flooding. :-(

Anyways... :)

I took my PADI DPV course at Maui Dreams and we did the obligatory "get acquainted" session, with three students. Two of them dropped out after the first dive, so the instructor and I then "supermanned" for the rest of the day (which the other two weren't comfortable with). It was *unbelievable*. Told my LDS about it and they looked at me like I had a DPV attached to my forehead.

To this day it was one of my all time favorite dives.

TheFoggyMask:
You're telling me those scooters are "reducing drag" when they've got surface markers, consoles and whatnot buzzing around them like flies? Riiiight...

Dude, did you even look at the website? There's a performance graph on the main page showing endurance differences for the AV-1 using both "hands-free" and "conventional" riding styles.

I look forward to this "saddle arrangement" being further developed. I had never considered scooters before, as I prefer my hands free for cameras, lights, slates, etc...

This is cool.

If you look at the angle of the bubbles coming off you can see they were flying. I had time for one pic and one pic only.

Scooters.jpg

archman:
Dude, did you even look at the website? There's a performance graph on the main page showing endurance differences for the AV-1 using both "hands-free" and "conventional" riding styles.

I look forward to this "saddle arrangement" being further developed. I had never considered scooters before, as I prefer my hands free for cameras, lights, slates, etc...

This is cool.

Dude, did you even read my post? Just because you're on a scooter doesn't magically make you have less drag. They're still suffering from the danglies. And no, it isn't cool.

Thefoggymask....

From your first "this is a joke" remark to your last post and then looking at some of your other postings, you sure are negative. Clear your mask and take a chill pill!

Yes, I think it's cool and I would love to try this! It'll be a lot easier to carry my video camera and actually use 2 hands to work the camera.

calscubagirl:
Thefoggymask....

From your first "this is a joke" remark to your last post and then looking at some of your other postings, you sure are negative. Clear your mask and take a chill pill!

Yes, I think it's cool and I would love to try this! It'll be a lot easier to carry my video camera and actually use 2 hands to work the camera.

Thanks for you eye opening comment, I've found Jesus and am going to be a better person now.

TheFoggyMask:
Thanks for you eye opening comment, I've found Jesus and am going to be a better person now.

Obviously

TheFoggyMask:
Dude, did you even read my post? Just because you're on a scooter doesn't magically make you have less drag. They're still suffering from the danglies. And no, it isn't cool.

Well then, explain for all of us how you get a nearly 50% endurance increase merely by shifting your scooter rearward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom