Interesting Use of Scooters at Ulua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
...ok back to the scooters! how do you control the speed/on-off?
Speed control on the AV-1 is by variable prop-pitch -- you pick it before you ride it.

On/off is a little red button on the handle that is pointed "down" (the front of your body), with a locking mechanism built-in also, so you don't have to hold the button down to keep it on.

KrisB:
It appears so has he -- a member search for TheFoggyMask turns up nothing.

I wonder if he found the delete account button, or if a Mod found some "troll-remover" spray...
He was way too angry to spend time in this Ohana.

KrisB:
It appears so has he -- a member search for TheFoggyMask turns up nothing.

I wonder if he found the delete account button, or if a Mod found some "troll-remover" spray...

OK, now we can have some peace, lol. He wasn't a happy young man was he?

If a Mod removed him then...thank you Mod! :10:

OK, now....I really want to get on one of these scooters.

Does anyone have a list of shops that might rent these out. Or does that dive op at Ulua rent them? I should just call Pete over at the Kea Lani (sp?) and see if they are using those now.

calscubagirl:
Does anyone have a list of shops that might rent these out. Or does that dive op at Ulua rent them? I should just call Pete over at the Kea Lani (sp?) and see if they are using those now.
The dive op at the Renaisance (sp?) hotel next to Ulua does guided scooter divers to the St. Anthony's wreck and Ulua reef. SB member Halemano works there.

AFAIK, nobody rents scooters on Maui anymore. With the msrp for the AV-2 (new one) at $2,500/$4,000, depending on power supply, renting Appolo scooters is a thing of the past. The AV-1 is discontinued and the old parts that are not used in the new one are no longer being made.

My bosses are not that interested in guests supermaning because if you lose a switch locked AV-1 (no kill cord) it might be lost for good or crashed into the reef when you do find it. For those reasons and probably more, switch lock maintenence has not been a priority on the Renaissance scooters.

There are ways around this dillema (dead pencil slate urchin) but I feel that's a bad example for my typical recreational guests with less than 50 dives and no prior scooter experience. I did two St. Anthony dives today, conventionally, and they were still great dives. If I'm solo I'm searchin for an urchin!

Actually I didn't mean rent...sorry. I meant with a DM. I wouldn't dare take one of these puppies out without a DM. I would probably get lost, LOL.

There are several options that I am aware of for going diving with these, all guided.

This list is by no means exhaustive -- just the ones I am aware of, in DEFINITE order of preference:

1. Maui Dreams Dive Co.
2. Bobby Baker's Maui Sun Divers
3. Five Star Scuba
4. Renaissance Scuba Kiosk (not sure the real name)

Of those, #1 and #2 I can recommend as I know the people there. #3 & #4, I can't say anything good or bad about them.

I can say that Maui Dreams keeps their scooters in top shape, and I have often seen scooters from other shops (e.g. 5-Star and Bobby Baker) that have been brought there for repair.

I can also tell you that unless you are totally inept at riding the scooter the conventional way, Maui Dreams will work with you on "Supermanning" it. Typically, they will go through the "required" skills -- e.g. this is how you ride it with a snorkel, this is how you and your buddy link up if one dies, etc. Then before you really get cruising, they'll demonstrate and allow you time to try out the Superman style.

If you like it, you can use it for the rest of the dive. If you don't, you go conventional.

Often, Maui Dreams will do an entry at Keawakapu and scooter out to the St. Anthony. Other options have been Marty's Reef from Makena Landing (did that today... VERY COOL!), Tank & Landing Craft off Makena also, or cruising some of the further out reef system at Ulua (e.g. Lawnchair Reef, Bicolour Anthias Rock, etc.)

Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks Kris...that's basically what I was looking for.

Well, I have a car picking me up in about 15 min. It's 4:25AM. (now that's just NOT right!) Because of the hightened security, I have to be at LAX 3 hrs. before my flight.
OK, So I'll be there 2 1/2 hours before hand.

See you guys this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom