Insurance for Your Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone purchased or thought about insuring their scuba gear? Like in the event that someone, God forbid, steals it? Fire or flood at your home wrecks your gear, etc.? I'm curious if there's an Insurance Carrier who offers riders for Scuba gear? Hope so since the $$ invested is pretty hefty. I'm gonna give my home owner's insurance company a ring tomorrow to check it out too. :06:

Yep. I started with the DAN referred company but they were very hard to work with. You had to go on line and enter information one line at a time and got a big charge for adding things later.

Now I use DEPP and they understand customer service.
rich

I insured mine through DAN. I haven't had a need to file a claim with them yet, so I can't agree or disagree with Rich's comment on customer service.

Mine's insured through my house insurance - even if it is lost or stolen outside of the house.

I made sure I specifically told my insurance company about it when I got my insurance - I don't want to lose anything!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

We already have a separate Personal Articles policy for some other items, so I just added my scuba gear to that. It turned out to be much less expensive than the DAN insurance.

Mine is covered under my home owners policy. All I had to do is take a picture of the gear showing the serial numbers.

MakoMermaid:
We already have a separate Personal Articles policy for some other items, so I just added my scuba gear to that. It turned out to be much less expensive than the DAN insurance.
Agreed. Lexy, you'll find that a personal articles rider on your homeowners policy that covers all perils is probably your least-expensive option. Big thing is to keep detailed records of serial numbers and lists of the small items - they add up. For example, you cannot claim a "toolbox full of tools". You must list every single tool in the box and what its cost is in the event of a loss. So, photos, videotape, or digital images go a long way towards documenting what you owned. It can be a PITA, but in the event of theft or loss its likely the only way of ensuring that you'll recover most of the loss.

I have a rider for mine on my homeowners. Costs about $30 a year.

Some of the links that have already been posted will include this coverage as well as the homeowner's option.

Unfortunately, I've found that some insurance carriers only cover your gear up to a certain amount or only in the continental US; if you travel with your gear (as most of us do) then there is no coverage.

That's why we went with DEPP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom