Scuba Diving Insurance Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
This topic seems to have me stumbling for the right solution. I have a good bit of scuba gear, some I store in a garage near where I live, some I store in Florida where I dive at. I recently switched insurance companies, and the new insurance company is now telling me I can't get my home owners to cover the diving gear stored in Florida. (the previous company / underwriter didn't seem to have a problem with this or maybe the agent just overlooked this..)
Anyway I am now thinking I need to contact an insurance company in Florida and start getting estimates.

Does anyone else store their dive gear in Florida or another state, and how do you work out the insurance aspect?

This topic seems to have me stumbling for the right solution. I have a good bit of scuba gear, some I store in a garage near where I live, some I store in Florida where I dive at. I recently switched insurance companies, and the new insurance company is now telling me I can't get my home owners to cover the diving gear stored in Florida. (the previous company / underwriter didn't seem to have a problem with this or maybe the agent just overlooked this..)
Anyway I am now thinking I need to contact an insurance company in Florida and start getting estimates.

Does anyone else store their dive gear in Florida or another state, and how do you work out the insurance aspect?
The concept you are looking for is "off premise clause" for personal belongings / personal property.

The simplest solution is to switch to a product that offers this type of coverage. Maybe you need to go back to your prior homeowners insurance provider?

Do you own / reside at the storage location in Florida? Personal belongings coverage is normally part of a P&C (Property and Casualty) insurance for a building owner or tenant.

Getting out of state off premise coverage may not be possible?

…could also be Florida. A bunch of insurance companies are exiting the state all together. 10+ years of record losses will do that to you as a company.

When I use to shot wildlife photography ($50k + is equipment) I use to just have a "Personal Articles Policy" add on specifically for my camera gear. With a PAP add on to your home owner/renters insurance you can pretty much insure anything you want from, scuba gear, diamond rings, to computers and collectables. It covers you world wide as far as I know there are no limits to the value and payout (for example most home owners insurance only cover "sporting equipment" aka diving gear up to $xyz amount) and generally has no to little deductible additionally the best part is if you make a claim it does not count negatively towards your home owners policy rates.

some more info can be found here Personal Articles Policy

When I use to shot wildlife photography ($50k + is equipment) I use to just have a "Personal Articles Policy" add on specifically for my camera gear. With a PAP add on to your home owner/renters insurance you can pretty much insure anything you want from, scuba gear, diamond rings, to computers and collectables. It covers you world wide as far as I know there are no limits to the value and payout (for example most home owners insurance only cover "sporting equipment" aka diving gear up to $xyz amount) and generally has no to little deductible additionally the best part is if you make a claim it does not count negatively towards your home owners policy rates.

some more info can be found here Personal Articles Policy
Agreed. Contents (personal belongings) coverage is normally covered under Homeowners or Tennant insurance. And insurance companies realize that you temporarily take many of your personal belongings out of your home (think clothes that you wear or take on holiday, golf clubs, scuba gear) for short well defined durations where your belongings are within your control.

The key issue the OP has is that the personal belongings are permanently located in a different location. Even worse, that location is out of state. (Insurance in the US is controlled at the state level). Standard P&C products generally exclude or severely limit coverage for this as it is not "normal".

I checked with my insurance expert who claims that the OP will need to seek out special Commercial insurance, not standard everyday P&C products.

Agreed. Contents (personal belongings) coverage is normally covered under Homeowners or Tennant insurance. And insurance companies realize that you temporarily take many of your personal belongings out of your home (think clothes that you wear or take on holiday, golf clubs, scuba gear) for short well defined durations where your belongings are within your control.

The key issue the OP has is that the personal belongings are permanently located in a different location. Even worse, that location is out of state. (Insurance in the US is controlled at the state level). Standard P&C products generally exclude or severely limit coverage for this as it is not "normal".

I checked with my insurance expert who claims that the OP will need to seek out special Commercial insurance, not standard everyday P&C products.

I guess it is more of a case of who your insurance agent is and how the interpret your claim if something does happen.

Once again back when I had lot of my camera equipment by chance I also included my laptop in my PAP. My laptop almost never was at home, always with me in different states, countries, in my backpack, in my car, at my work, at friends etc. etc. etc. I had it stolen when I was traveling through Africa and filed a claim. They asked me a couple basic questions about it and I had to fill out a simple form online and with in a week I had a full payment from them. It was the easiest and smoothest transaction ever and there was not even a deductible.

As far as I know PAP do not care where your personal items are located. That is the whole point of a PAP its to cover items that would not normally be in your home. Or items that are specialty items

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom