Instructor SSI or PADI? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjmills

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First of all, if this has been discussed before please excuse my ignorance as I am pretty new to the board.

So...I am also thinking about working up to Instructor level. I have a good PADI shop nearby and also a good SSI shop that I recently did my Stress and Rescue with. Now I am confused as to what to do and the estimated costs to make the next move. Dive Con or Master and then on to instructor with either SSI or PADI.

My Goals: To dive MORE. :) Second from that would be to possibly teach on the side from my main gig for now. The revenue picture just doesn't support my family from what I can tell unless I were to own the shop which may be a possibility someday but not today. With this economy...anything is possible. Anyone want to invest in a start up in Colorado? Third would be to provide some extra income for the family towards a possible retirement from my current gig.

So here are my questions:

1. Benefits of being an instructor? Any? I have seen income to breaking even here.

2. PADI or SSI for instructor and income expectations? Double to cost to do both correct?

3. Go with a shop or teach privately?

When you work for a shop and they need instructors on the trip do you go for free? Deals? Etc. How does this work typically?

Basically I am looking for reasons to continue my addiction errr... education. Anything you guys can tell me would be appreciated.

T.J.

tjmills:
First of all, if this has been discussed before please excuse my ignorance as I am pretty new to the board.

So...I am also thinking about working up to Instructor level. I have a good PADI shop nearby and also a good SSI shop that I recently did my Stress and Rescue with. Now I am confused as to what to do and the estimated costs to make the next move. Dive Con or Master and then on to instructor with either SSI or PADI.

My Goals: To dive MORE. :) Second from that would be to possibly teach on the side from my main gig for now. The revenue picture just doesn't support my family from what I can tell unless I were to own the shop which may be a possibility someday but not today. With this economy...anything is possible. Anyone want to invest in a start up in Colorado? Third would be to provide some extra income for the family towards a possible retirement from my current gig.

1. Benefits of being an instructor? Any? I have seen income to breaking even here.

I dove for a long time before becoming one. I enjoyed coaching for many years at a high school and with scuba students I don't have to deal with teachers or parents, usually. I find it fufilling.

2. PADI or SSI for instructor and income expectations? Double to cost to do both correct?

Not double but nearly double. Every shop pays different. Some pay by the hour, some by the student and none enough. SSI gives you more freedom in the way you can teach which I appreciate. PADI is more of a cookie cutter approach as far as I'm concerned.

With SSI you can only teach with a shop.

When you work for a shop and they need instructors on the trip do you go for free? Deals? Etc. How does this work typically?

I go for free a lot but customers at the shop I work for want to go with me so it's pretty easy to fill trips.

Basically I am looking for reasons to continue my addiction errr... education. Anything you guys can tell me would be appreciated.

It isn't for everyone but take your time and don't rush through things. Do the DM or DiveCon thing for a couple of years at least, see how that works for you

T.J.

Al

Help pay for new gear. Write off some expenses. Get some free trips. As for doing it full time - I would lose a lot of money and wouldn't be able to afford to dive for fun anymore. I do it as a side gig.

As Al said, SSI requires a shop to teach. As a PADI instructor, you can teach independently. Also, PADI is a little more wide spread, so you can almost get a jojb anywhere as a PADI instructor. If you wanted to do both, go with PADI, then do a crossover to SSI. I don't know the costs/requirements, but I do know to crossover to PADI from SSI you need to do it as if coming in as a DM.

SSI - no choice. PADI - Unless you have the money to buy lots of gear and insure it, you will need to at least have an arrangement with a shop. Initially, go with a shop. Learn the logistics, then see if you want to go independent. For OW, I work with a shop. I don't want the hassle of upkeep of gear. For anything beyond, I do both. If the diver is already certified, then it's less of a hassle for me because I don't have to deal with gear/air rental. I just have to teach.

When you work for a shop and they need instructors on the trip do you go for free?

Yes, but I'm also working the entire trip. It's not a vacation. So make sure you schedule at least one non working trip a year.

Deals? Etc. How does this work typically?

Depends on the shop. I get a certain percentage off. Occasionally the shop offers keyman price, which is a certain percentage above their cost. Recently I was able to buy some gear for their cost. The manufacturers dictate how much gear the shop can sell for keyman or cost, at the shop I work with anyway. A shop that deals with more sales and inventory may not have that restriction.

Like Al said, don't rush things. Research the 2 agencies, choose one and complete DM or DiveCon. You can always crossover later for instructor. But your time as DM or DiveCon will answer a lot more questions.

I agree that you should not rush into this. I believe in business you should run a debt free operation that means financing nothing, nada, zilch. In todays society most people will laugh at you for saying that.

However, with that said if your business fails you don't go bankrupt and you just walk away. If I were in your shoes I would get in with a good dive shop look at the "NET PROFIT" they bring in. See how the show is run etc.. If they run a good operation and you're interested with intense savings maybe in a few years you could buy a third of the business. I've seen too many people rush into this and go belly up. Not only that think about your family they're priority number 1. Now I'll get off my soap box.

I pretty much break even on income (this is a side job for me). The main benefit is the big discount on gear and free/discounted trips. The compensation varies greatly from store to store though.

Income is about the same. You have more flexibility with PADI in that you can teach either independently or through a store. With SSI you have to run everything through a store, including your trips (at least with our current insurance arrangement). With a store, they handle the equipment maintenance which is a big plus. You could probably also work out some sort of arrangement with a local store for rentals for classes even if you teach independently (I'm having to work on this now as my local store is closing at the end of this month. Since I'm PADI, I am able to teach independently without having to find another SSI store and there's not another one of those in my city.)

When you work for a shop and they need instructors on the trip do you go for free?

Sometimes. You normally have to sell a certain number of spaces before this comes into play. On local certification trips (Florida Gulf Coast in my case) yes, you get a free spot. Again, different stores have different rules and class sizes determine how many freebies are available.

Deals? Etc. How does this work typically?

Again, depends on the shop. The manufacturers come into our shop once a year and typically offer great deals on 'keyman' pricing if you buy a complete set of gear. Otherwise, we get a really nice discount. Shop owners and manufacturers like for their instructors to use the gear that they sell, because many students want to get the same gear they see their instructors using.

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the information.

I want you to know that I am not rushing into this. I have been thinking about it for a little over 5 years now. I have taught swimming before from kids to Adults so I have seen the best and the worst although I know more of both ranges exist. And most of all, the family is always #1 so messing that up is not an option financially or otherwise.

There is no question about PADI being much larger and more opportunity but it seems like SSI is starting to make a move not only here but other places as well. Maybe PADI is starting to loose the grip on the top spot??? Opinions?

There is no question in my mind that SSI's courses are better structured than PADI's approach. The question is where can I get a job? Quite a few shops are SSI and PADI so I wonder if the ones that are only PADI are thinking about adding SSI to their portfolio. Will the shops generally help with the crossover if you work there?

T.J.

tjmills:
So...I am also thinking about working up to Instructor level.
Cool you'll enjoy it, if you like teaching and diving it's a great cocktail.

tjmills:
I have a good PADI shop nearby and also a good SSI shop that I recently did my Stress and Rescue with. Now I am confused as to what to do and the estimated costs to make the next move. Dive Con or Master and then on to instructor with either SSI or PADI.

I have the same situation around the corner from me. PADI is certainly the larger organization, with more establishments. The local SSI and NAUI shops all employ PADI instructors. I'll ask on occasion how many people come into their "all NAUI" or "all SSI" shops asking for PADI training, it's close to 9 out of 10.

tjmills:

All that said ... instruction alone is meager money. If you live very simply, no problem. Supporting a family (and having time for them) is a hard balance to strike on a pure instructor only budget. Bottom line is if you can get into equipment sales/rental, or partner/own a dive shop ... then you might tap into something respectible. I know very personally about 6 local shop owners ... making personally anywhere from 90k to 1/4 of mil a year.

tjmills:

tjmills:

tjmills:
By way of example a large PADI chain shop in the So Cal region pay instructors $90.00 a student, but cover your insurance costs and other reoccuring fees annually ... and give 80% discounts on dive gear, and all free dive trips. They also typically book classes of 5 or more students each.

I know several independant instructors charging 250 per student with 2 student max class size or 500 for one-on-one instruction. PADI itself isn't anything special or outstanding over other organizations, but their marketing and penetration does help its instructors.

tjmills:
With some shops yes. Others you get a discount based on how many students you bring on the boat. It varies.

tjmills:
One thing is for sure you'll get more diving in going the professional route, unless you choose divemastering for a boat, then it's all on deck work, unless you have a rescue situation arise. However, don't for a minute think you'll get much pleasure out of instructional dives themselves, those are rare, with your head fully focused on your assignment.

Discussed before?

Only 3000 or so times...

Both are pitiful... Try a respectable agency like BSAC, PDIC or maybe even NAUI.

Go with PADI training, it's the industry standard (instructors can teach more than the minimum agency requirements) and has 70% of the world market. There are places, like Mexico and much of the South Pacific, where NAUI, SSI and the others have almost no presence - as mentioned above with SSI you have to teach through a shop.

Back
Top Bottom