Instructor Requirements- continued...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
in water training has remained virtually unchanged since JC was in shorts. If anything, skills have been added and become more realistic.

You obviously haven't researched this before making such a statement. Using PADI as an example, lots of in water skills have been dropped since the 70's. Skin diving skills were required in the 70's. They are almost completely gone now. Rescue skills have been reduced. You are mistaken.

cancun mark:
but if you move the minimum, it still remains the minimum and remember that fifty percent of instructors are below average.

Q: Do you know what they call the person who graduates last in their medical school?

A: Doctor.

jhelmuth:
Alright... he's being a grouch (your opinion) - so what. Why is that jstification for you to come acroos that way? Take the higher ground and don't drop down to that level. With respect to clarivoyance... I just took the information you provided in you profile. I don't know you, nor do I suggest that you are in any way a bad or defficent instructor. I did ask you to reconsider and that Mike has significantly more experience than you (face it - he does). Nothing wrong with that. I usually take that into consideration before I speak. Experience is a great teacher.

Sarcasm is a tool. Granted, not many people know how to handle sarcasm, but it's still a valid tool. One sarcastic comment forces intelligent people to re-examine the original statement and to figure out for themselves whether or not it stands up to close scrutiny and whether it is subject to being put in perspective. It also avoids carpal tunnel syndrome.

I'm not saying that Mike hasn't got more experience than I have - that's a given - but that doesn't automatically invalidate my opinion.

jhelmuth:
No, I don't live in kindergarten, and I think I stand pretty well on the concept of personal responsibility (I'm also a Republican). Maybe it's just my attitude about not accepting less than excellent performance from professionals. I think that means something - to be a professional. I disagree with you to the extent that accident are more commonly cause from a lack of preparedness, experience (going beyond ones training), and this is a direct result of an industry which is not being as responsible as it could. Are any of you willing to accept things the way they are today? Are you happy about it? If so, I beleive that you are part of the problem. If you are not willing to at least consider change, then you'll get what you've always gotten, because you doing what you've always done!

PS - I'm sure you know more than I. Just consider that there are probably others that know more than you.

Jim

The kindergarten comment wasn't directed at you personally, it was a general comment. When we in Europe look at the US we see a litigious society, something we can't imagine happening over here - though we too are starting to slip into the abyss. It seems to us that no-one is prepared to take the blame for personal mistakes. Probably we get a warped image from TV, but still...

Please let's try to keep politics out of the discussion. I don't really care about your political persuasion, nor about anyone else's. Suffice it to say that in Europe, Democrats and Republicans would be considered two wings of the same party. Party differences are much more explicit over here.

Back to the meat of the discussion: on the one hand you have the diver (ie. the consumer) who expects to come out of a first level course as a well rounded diver. Be honest, this is impossible. Many divers consider advanced and specialty training as a money-making scheme invented by the industry. On the other hand, they do evolve in diving, and as a consequence they push their boundaries. Sometimes they push too far.

I am willing to accept responsibility for a new OWD I trained. I decline responsability for his/her behaviour twenty dives on, unless those twenty dives were done with me as a buddy.

If someone ignores all the advice in the manual and the advice given during the course, is the industry responsible? I think not.

I can assure you that the other approach to diving education - the "club based continuing education CMAS-style" delivers the same results as the "commercial" training. You get divers who know and accept their limits and who apply caution and common sense while expanding their capabilities, and you get idiots who want to do too much too soon.

I still refuse to take responsibility for idiots.

FatCat:
..snip..
You'd have to see a CMAS course to believe there's worse than RSTC training. Deco diving from first go, breath-holding on compressed gas, first level course without any skills whatsoever. Buoyancy? What's that? They call a BC a lifejacket. I'm thrilled that there is something like EN standards now.
..snip..

I find this remark a little strange. I've witnessed CMAS courses & operations in a few countries and the training normally is to a high standard and goes way beyond basic requirements. However as has been pointed out endlessly on this board it all comes down to the quality of the instructor. To try to smear all CMAS training because of what I would believe to be an isolated case is as bad as PADI bashing.

The only point I do agree with is that no taboo is placed on deco diving unlike in the PADI zone of influence, so many instructors really make sure that even a 1* diver can really use his tables & hold deco stops.

In some countries they even call a BCD (Buoyancy Control Device) a STAB jacket!!!
Is the term "STAB" in the EN standards?
Whatever gets the job done. A rose is a rose....

miketsp:
I find this remark a little strange. I've witnessed CMAS courses & operations in a few countries and the training normally is to a high standard and goes way beyond basic requirements. However as has been pointed out endlessly on this board it all comes down to the quality of the instructor. To try to smear all CMAS training because of what I would believe to be an isolated case is as bad as PADI bashing.

The only point I do agree with is that no taboo is placed on deco diving unlike in the PADI zone of influence, so many instructors really make sure that even a 1* diver can really use his tables & hold deco stops.

Well, the problem with CMAS is that it sets standards and does nothing more. It doesn't even verify whether or not an affiliate applies these standards, especially not in the case of founding members. This makes for an enormous variety in CMAS education.

Since there is normally only one ruling CMAS body for each country (a founding member and/or full member of the CMAS board) this body sets the standard for a whole country, regardless of the number of CMAS agencies active in a given country. An example: in Belgium, the ruling body is BEFOS/FEBRAS, which oversees three agencies: NELOS, LIFRAS and VVW. Each of these three agencies has its own standards that do not correspond with each other's. These standards also differ from the standards set by the ruling body. The standards of the ruling body differ significantly from those set forth by CMAS, but the ruling body doesn't issue certs, it just oversees. CMAS cannot intervene because BEFOS/LIFRAS is a founding member of CMAS, so general standards are constantly being broken despite the fact that each c-card issued bears the CMAS logo.

CMAS agencies all over Europe adopt their own policies. A number of them are conforming to EU norms and thus are drawing level with RSTC standards. Others - like the French federation - fight like hell to keep their own standards, which do include dangerous performance requirements for novices.

When we're talking about standardised training that extends to a whole country, I wouldn't call this an "isolated incident".

CMAS however has always insisted that a 1* diver is equivalent to an OWD. Nevertheless, a 1* diver is a supervised diver, who is not required to be able to plan repetitive dives, does not have to demonstrate skills in open water and who only has to perform some very basic watermanship skills in the pool. In most countries these pool skills include breath-hold swimming after breathing compressed air. Hence a serious number of lung overexpansion injuries each year.

This isn't agency bashing, it's system bashing if you will.

miketsp:
In some countries they even call a BCD (Buoyancy Control Device) a STAB jacket!!!

"Stab" is short for "stabilising", which is a perfectly sensible name.

As for the "lifejacket" thing, they actually mean "lifejacket". Whether or not buoyancy control is taught is the instructor's decision. A reg recovery is not taught (but it will be soon due to the EN norm), which is why I hear so many divers talk about "losing their reg". You can't lose it, it stays attached to the LP hose. Until now, an octopus is only recommended, it's not mandatory. Neither is an SPG. Why? They still use reserve valves.

We're not talking isolated incidents here, we're talking whole countries.

And it's not a question of smearing reputations, it's just a question of stating facts. Those standards are a bare minimum, even less than RSTC standards, with one notable exception: there is an experience requirement. It takes a certain number of dives before a diver can obtain the next level in certification.

This I find commendable, but that's all. There is serious upheaval all over Europe because alternate airsources (ie an octopus) will become mandatory. Do you know why there is so much protest? Because the average diver doesn't want to spend money on a piece of equipment that is "optional".

Petrification of diving education is a bad, bad thing.

Originally Posted by FatCat
..snip..
You'd have to see a CMAS course to believe there's worse than RSTC training

You must live in Belgium. As you said not all CMAS training is the same. Some variants are down right careful (maybe even overboard) about their training. The Nelos has a horrific safety record so I'm guessing that you based your comment on that....but I wouldn't take the NELOS as a typical CMAS variant.

This I find commendable, but that's all. There is serious upheaval all over Europe

Belgium isn't Europe, mate. I don't recognise anything in this claim. Nothing.

because alternate airsources (ie an octopus) will become mandatory.

In the Netherlands there are NO protests over alternates. This is gibberish. The "protests" (insofar that there are protests) have to do with the new DIN standard for Nitrox bottles that will require most divers to buy two sets of regulators and tanks if they want to dive both air and Nitrox.....

R..

Diver0001:
You must live in Belgium. As you said not all CMAS training is the same. Some variants are down right careful (maybe even overboard) about their training. The Nelos has a horrific safety record so I'm guessing that you based your comment on that....but I wouldn't take the NELOS as a typical CMAS variant.

Belgium isn't Europe, mate. I don't recognise anything in this claim. Nothing.
R..

(Huge grin) True, in Holland things are different. But, Holland isn't Europe either. Try looking at France: two first stages are mandatory for instructors, but an octopus is optional for a regular diver. Take Germany: huge infighting between the CMAS affiliates.

Differences are so enormous between CMAS affiliates that it isn't fair to even talk about CMAS courses. You have to name the affiliate to be accurate.

You should take a look at the requirements of some of the more exotic CMAS affiliates. Yes, even more exotic than NELOS and LIFRAS (don't forget LIFRAS, they're something else as well).

There is upheaval all over Europe about alternates, just not in the Netherlands. Happily the upheaval is mostly limited to the petrified "old guard". Younger divers have already adopted alternates as basic equipment.

Anyhow, all this just to demonstrate that CMAS is not homogenous as opposed to RSTC.

Diver0001:
In the Netherlands there are NO protests over alternates. This is gibberish. The "protests" (insofar that there are protests) have to do with the new DIN standard for Nitrox bottles that will require most divers to buy two sets of regulators and tanks if they want to dive both air and Nitrox.....

R..

Yup, you're right, there are no protests about alternates in Holland.

And the whole DIN standard for Nitrox regs and tanks... It's a good bid to regulate, but hey, adaptors are already on sale and besides: there's a transitional period till 2008.

miketsp:
I think the Stab title comes from the old orange scuba pro vests, which were called stab jackets, (as Fat Cat popints out short for stabilizing) They were the fist buoyancy control jackets. Believe it or not, there's still quite a few around. Lots even still work. I like 'em.

Last time I looked at an atlas both Belgium and The Netherlands were still attached to the European continent.

:eek:fftopic:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom