Inhaler-friendly snorkel for those with asthma.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
My immediate reaction is that, if your asthma is so poorly controlled that you can't snorkel for 45 minutes without albuterol, somebody needs to kick your doctor in the rear.

Amen...

If you're asymptomatic on standard medication, I can't (and don't) see a problem with diving.

Wow, I've read all the pages of posts and many of you are too ignorant to speak on the matter and the docs, well, for the most part you are right. I am a paramedic (as if the screen name didn't give it away) and have worked on countless asthmatics over the years, I am also an asthmatic. My asthma is aggravated by cold, dry air. Anyone know why this would be important while diving?! I am on regular medication to control my asthma during the winter season, even though we don't have much of one down here and I use my "rescue inhalor" EVERY time I go diving. All seasons, warm or cold water, it makes no difference. I've looked at the products that you've all noted and am considering getting them for myself.
On my very first dive, I had an asthma attack that continued for hours after completing the dive because of the amount of mucus/fluid that had accumilated in my lungs because of the dive. Obviously, I pushed to far, being new to diving, the anxiety of it all, the compressed dry, cool air of my tank and the rough seas all added to the problem, but I know my body, so I know when to dive, and when not too. I learned my limitations and how to manage my problem. But, never for a moment would I give up diving because of a managable problem/disease!
I went to a pulmologist to get cleared to dive, and passed all of my tests with flying colors including a stress test (treadmill)! My pulmonary function test was better than most "normal" non-asthmatic people. In addition, I take my asthma "rescue inhalor" at least 3-4x a week before I work out at my gym.
So, because I suffer from a disease that can be dangerous, like many diseases out there, I should stop living! No diving, no exertion, turn off the a/c and become a stinky, sweaty, miserable woman? I don' think so! Regardless of how many times you may think or believe we live, I plan on enjoying this life to the fullest, regardless of my disease!
BTW, there are many who's lives I have touched, saved and done so much for that would argue with your opinion of cleaning out the gene pool by getting rid of all the "wheezers!"

As far as I am concern, all wheezers, flat footers, and short people under 5'4' should simply be shot or sent to the funny farm....

PairofMedics:
My asthma is aggravated by cold, dry air.... I use my "rescue inhalor" EVERY time I go diving. All seasons, warm or cold water, it makes no difference.....including a stress test (treadmill)! My pulmonary function test was better than most "normal" non-asthmatic people.

Not being a doctor specialized in pulmonary function, I can only say that it strikes me as odd that a test like that would really prove much of anything if it has already been determined that your asthma is triggered by cold/dry air. (unless you run a thread mill in a HEPA filtered cold room, but I doubt this)

PairofMedics:
...I know my body, so I know when to dive, and when not too. I learned my limitations and how to manage my problem. But, never for a moment would I give up diving because of a managable problem/disease! .....
Every person is different. If your doctor has determined that it is OK for YOU to dive. Then, hey have fun and be safe! It appears as though you are very aware of your limitations and know when to dive safely.

However, your tone comes off a bit antagonistic. Almost as though you are recommending everyone puff up and go against a very sensible guideline since it is ok for YOU.

rakkis:
Not being a doctor specialized in pulmonary function, I can only say that it strikes me as odd that a test like that would really prove much of anything if it has already been determined that your asthma is triggered by cold/dry air. (unless you run a thread mill in a HEPA filtered cold room, but I doubt this)

I don't consider this odd, as there are many stimulator of bronchoconstriction other than airborne particulates (viruses, emotion, temperature, excercise). So a HEPA filter wouldn't make a squat of difference. PFT are necessary to have an objective evidence of asthma, as shortness of breath and wheezing has many causes other than asthma.

rakkis:
Every person is different. If your doctor has determined that it is OK for YOU to dive. Then, hey have fun and be safe! .

I don't trust doctor's clearance in all cases. Medicine is patient driven and malpractice lawyer driven. If you are an patient with heart failure who wants to dive, you will find a doctor who will clear you to dive.

My personal opinion is, with the right restriction, many asthmatics can dive. In my honest opinion, many smokers should not dive. Many has obstructive bronchitis and pulmonary pathology that make them higher risk for barotrauma to the lung. Do you see smoking as a contraindication to diving?

"However, your tone comes off a bit antagonistic. Almost as though you are recommending everyone puff up and go against a very sensible guideline since it is ok for YOU."

I don't see his/her tone as antigonistic. It simply reflects the opinion of the many others here who dives with a known medical condition and risk. It is their right to take this risk.

For every scuba instructor, rescue diver, and other in the diving business who are so vocal against any one with a label such as "asthmatic" against diving..... All I have to do is wish that God bless you with a condition that you are pointing a finger at - and see if you would give up your profession. My gut feeling is, when the finger points at you, your opinion will change. The guideline handed to diving instructor is to protect you, the dive instructor, and the certifying organization, from having lawsuits. It is the best guideline under the litigigous time we live in. For that reason, it is good.

But it is not a sensible guideline preventing all people with the listed medical condition from diving. That's why you require a medical clearance. But I greatly disagree with the clearance for several other medical conditions discussed here on this column. Specifically the one diver who has a history of atrial fibrillation, dilated cardiomyopathy and congestive failure, who was cleared to dive.

But once you have read through PairofMedics first dive experience, you couldn't pay me enough to clear him/her for diving. I think PairofMedics making calculated mistake in continuing to dive. But certainly, if you stay shallow in 80 degree temperature, you likely would be safe.

With that said, diving is never a controlled environment. You, without doubt, will encounter cold currents, take risk, and might endanger your life. But it is your choice, and I'll respect it. Hopefully the dive boat rescuer is as good of a medic as you are :)

PairofMedics:
Wow, I've read all the pages of posts and many of you are too ignorant to speak on the matter and the docs, well, for the most part you are right. I am a paramedic (as if the screen name didn't give it away) and have worked on countless asthmatics over the years, I am also an asthmatic. My asthma is aggravated by cold, dry air. Anyone know why this would be important while diving?! I am on regular medication to control my asthma during the winter season, even though we don't have much of one down here and I use my "rescue inhalor" EVERY time I go diving. All seasons, warm or cold water, it makes no difference. I've looked at the products that you've all noted and am considering getting them for myself.
On my very first dive, I had an asthma attack that continued for hours after completing the dive because of the amount of mucus/fluid that had accumilated in my lungs because of the dive. Obviously, I pushed to far, being new to diving, the anxiety of it all, the compressed dry, cool air of my tank and the rough seas all added to the problem, but I know my body, so I know when to dive, and when not too. I learned my limitations and how to manage my problem. But, never for a moment would I give up diving because of a managable problem/disease!
I went to a pulmologist to get cleared to dive, and passed all of my tests with flying colors including a stress test (treadmill)! My pulmonary function test was better than most "normal" non-asthmatic people. In addition, I take my asthma "rescue inhalor" at least 3-4x a week before I work out at my gym.
So, because I suffer from a disease that can be dangerous, like many diseases out there, I should stop living! No diving, no exertion, turn off the a/c and become a stinky, sweaty, miserable woman? I don' think so! Regardless of how many times you may think or believe we live, I plan on enjoying this life to the fullest, regardless of my disease!
BTW, there are many who's lives I have touched, saved and done so much for that would argue with your opinion of cleaning out the gene pool by getting rid of all the "wheezers!"
Well said Keep up the great work.....MARK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom