Inhaler-friendly snorkel for those with asthma.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tienuts:
I would say it's also dangerous, in the fact that some inhaled asthma medicines are also cardiac stimulants. Also, as someone pointed out, what would the effect of the increased partial pressure be?

I'm not all that certain that anything would come out of an inhaler at depth. What are they pressurized to?

Terry

fisherdvm:
But reality is, asthmatics are great athletes, great professional football players, and soldiers. There is a great range of severity and type of asthmatics.
This is true, but I think the question is about asthmatics who potentialy need to dive with, and or use an inhaler underwater. I agree, a minor asthmatic who is not problematic can safely dive.

Web Monkey:
I'm not all that certain that anything would come out of an inhaler at depth. What are they pressurized to?

Terry
I once heard from a resperatory tech, that those ventolin or albuterol inhalers were pressurized to 145 psi when new. I would think that at 145 PSI, a new inhaler would at least give you one or 2 sprays in recreational depths, right?

I'd assume that they have the mechanical parts of this down and that it works as advertised.

Tienuts:
This is true, but I think the question is about asthmatics who potentialy need to dive with, and or use an inhaler underwater. I agree, a minor asthmatic who is not problematic can safely dive.

I once heard from a resperatory tech, that those ventolin or albuterol inhalers were pressurized to 145 psi when new. I would think that at 145 PSI, a new inhaler would at least give you one or 2 sprays in recreational depths, right?

Maybe. I wouldn't want my life depending on using an aerosol can in a pressurised environement it wasn't designed for.

Terry

Web Monkey:
Maybe. I wouldn't want my life depending on using an aerosol can in a pressurised environement it wasn't designed for.

Terry

Excellent point!

I disagree with you Thalassamia.... Doctors ordering more tests will just label more people with diagnosis. What I am trying to say is, I have an extremely mild degree of airway reactivity to extreme hypothermia..... But I ain't going to label myself as an asthmatic by any mean.

You defenitely will not induce an asthmatic attack in me.... No matter how you challenge me. Only twice in my whole life did I have asthma like attack.... That's better than most cigarette smokers would admit to you.

Then what, should we ban all cigarette smokers and all folks who recently got a viral respiratory illness??

A recent medical study just showed that asthma is often misdiagnosed in the obese population.

Professionally, I think it's misdiagnosed in normal-weight populations often too. People go to the doctor's office with symptoms of short-term bronchial irritation (usually due to viral infections) and are diagnosed as asthmatic.

Also, I think many people who are looking for a reason as to WHY they don't exercise grab hold of this diagnosis and use it for justification.

It's just easier on their egos to believe that the reason they are huffing and puffing while walking up one flight of stairs is because of asthma, not because their lack of physical conditioning has left them with anemic cardiovascular systems.

fisherdvm:
I disagree with you Thalassamia.... Doctors ordering more tests will just label more people with diagnosis. What I am trying to say is, I have an extremely mild degree of airway reactivity to extreme hypothermia..... But I ain't going to label myself as an asthmatic by any mean.

You defenitely will not induce an asthmatic attack in me.... No matter how you challenge me. Only twice in my whole life did I have asthma like attack.... That's better than most cigarette smokers would admit to you.
Then you'll pass a challange and I have no problem.

fisherdvm:
Then what, should we ban all cigarette smokers and all folks who recently got a viral respiratory illness??
Well ... at least the cigarette smokers on purely esthetic grounds.<G>

Web Monkey:

Terry
For the record, I was in no way condoning an underwater inhaler. As I said previously, I think its bad idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom