Information on the new SCUBAPRO S270 SECOND STAGE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought two for my students (on Mk2+evos). The plastic barrel inside is locking the (non-adjustable) balance chamber with a red c-clp, like the S555. The rest is probably like the S620ti. Apart from the metal barrel and the adjuster, and the adjuster on the 620 is locked with a metal pin like Apeks does.

I bought two for my students (on Mk2+evos). The plastic barrel inside is locking the (non-adjustable) balance chamber with a red c-clp, like the S555. The rest is probably like the S620ti. Apart from the metal barrel and the adjuster, and the adjuster on the 620 is locked with a metal pin like Apeks does.
So just an over priced 555?

So just an over priced 555?
Well, when you posted the thread about the S600 vs S620ti comparison, I clearly stated how in love I am with the S620ti for its simplicity. But truth be told: yeah, it won't do much that an S600 won't do, and in case of the S270 an S555 is a good alternative. I regard them as equivalent. The dynamic flow curve of the newer ones is very stable according to @rsingler, but to most of us they will be the same.

However, the deals I got on the Mk2+Evo/S270/R095 make the S270 a no brainer...

And smaller (?)
The diameter of the case is slightly smaller, but it has a wider exhaust. So, ironically, for octo duty an old S555 might be more convenient. For the rest of the world: This comment only applies for people spliltting hairs when it comes to regs, like Buddhasummer and I sometimes do... :wink: As I said earler, for the most part it is a gradual evolution. Well done Scubapro for keeping what's good and improving little bits.

Well, when you posted the thread about the S600 vs S620ti comparison, I clearly stated how in love I am with the S620ti for its simplicity. But truth be told: yeah, it won't do much that an S600 won't do, and in case of the S270 an S555 is a good alternative. I regard them as equivalent. The dynamic flow curve of the newer ones is very stable according to @rsingler, but to most of us they will be the same.

However, the deals I got on the Mk2+Evo/S270/R095 make the S270 a no brainer...
I feel the 620 Ti has some real improvements ove the 600, in construction and material if not in performance, this 270 seems to offer neither, I think the 560 would be a better choice.

how does it breathe?
We have not had the S270s in the water yet, but I assume it'll breathe like the S620ti. And on that topic, one reason I went back to Scubapro is the VIVA vane. It allows to dial in a stronger venturi and really push air (not writing this for you, as you are one of my reg guru teachers).

It can really push air if you set it to lower cracking than factory specs. Of course with the adjuster on the S620ti there is no penalty for setting it up like that. Atomic perfected a smooth reg and made the impossible possible, but it is a bit too well behaved for my preference.

As has been stated many times on here, all regs breathe perfectly fine nowadays, but some people are able to discern subtle characteristics, and that's what we usually talk about on the forum. I think those characteristics are mostly due to how venturi effect is implemented through the flow rate range (or air flow path in general, if you think of the D-series). So for you and me I think we like regs with strong venturi and the S270 will breathe great. Some people prefer Atomic, and others feel that only the D-series is smooth enough...

We have not had the S270s in the water yet, but I assume it'll breathe like the S620ti. And on that topic, one reason I went back to Scubapro is the VIVA vane. It allows to dial in a stronger venturi and really push air (not writing this for you, as you are one of my reg guru teachers).

It can really push air if you set it to lower cracking than factory specs. Of course with the adjuster on the S620ti there is no penalty for setting it up like that. Atomic perfected a smooth reg and made the impossible possible, but it is a bit too well behaved for my preference.

As has been stated many times on here, all regs breathe perfectly fine nowadays, but some people are able to discern subtle characteristics, and that's what we usually talk about on the forum. I think those characteristics are mostly due to how venturi effect is implemented through the flow rate range (or air flow path in general, if you think of the D-series). So for you and me I think we like regs with strong venturi and the S270 will breathe great. Some people prefer Atomic, and others feel that only the D-series is smooth enough...
Any updates on how it breathes? I was just about to pull the trigger on a new travel reg (MK11/c370) but I like the looks of S27 more

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom