?? info about PST Steel HP3500 80's & 100's from 1998

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an opportunity to purchase some PST (US Divers) HP3500 80's and 100's made in 1997 & 1998.
They are due for hydro & viz.
Is there anything I should be concerned about?
The bouyancy characteristics are appealing but I know PST went bankrupt and these tanks seem to have been replaced with a newer 3442 versions.

DOT G9791-3500 TP5250
DOT E9791-3500 TP5250

Frank

Thanks!

I think you should pass on them. In fact, if you give me the guys number, I'll tell him that you are no longer interested myself...:D

I bought 3 80s and 1 120 of these same PST tanks not long ago. All 3 of the 80s were out of vis/hydro - but all passed fine.

Great tanks!

I bought two HP120's two years ago made in 96. As it turned out, the guy I bought them from was a DM for a shop in Jersey. They were known for pumping bad air. When they pulled the valves they poured about a cup of oily brown water out and the tanks were rusted.

Man, I thought I was hosed! The shop had to roll them for about a week and they cleaned up nice. Take care of them and they'll last a llllooonnnngggg time.

Those 80's would make a nice set of doubles...:D

frank_delargy:
I have an opportunity to purchase some PST (US Divers) HP3500 80's and 100's made in 1997 & 1998.
They are due for hydro & viz.
Is there anything I should be concerned about?
The bouyancy characteristics are appealing but I know PST went bankrupt and these tanks seem to have been replaced with a newer 3442 versions.

DOT G9791-3500 TP5250
DOT E9791-3500 TP5250

Frank

Thanks!

Just realize that the tank thread size (7/8" 14 UNF) is smaller compared to the 3442s (3/4” 14 NPSM)....

Otter:
Just realize that the tank thread size (7/8" 14 UNF) is smaller compared to the 3442s (3/4” 14 NPSM)....
It has DIN valves now and I have a DIN first stage (now with a DIN to Yoke converter)

Would I need to be concerned about this only when I need to buy new valves.
I had never thought about valve life. Is that something that people replace often?

My wife has a yoke first stage as are all of my spares. Would she be able to use these tanks? ie, can you (should you) convert reg from Yoke to DIN (without buying new first stage) or tank from DIN to Yoke?

Thanks

My first one didn't pass its second hydro. Grrr. Current one is still in hydro and I love it, but if it fails the next hydro I won't be buying any more of their tanks unless their new manufacturing process gives me reason to change my mind.

Although the original PST went bankrupt, it has been purchased by "new" owners and should be producing new tanks next month I believe I read.

drbill:
My first one didn't pass its second hydro. Grrr. Current one is still in hydro and I love it, but if it fails the next hydro I won't be buying any more of their tanks unless their new manufacturing process gives me reason to change my mind.

Although the original PST went bankrupt, it has been purchased by "new" owners and should be producing new tanks next month I believe I read.

Wow. I've never seen a PST tank fail hydro. Do you know specifically why it was failed Bill?

I had one that failed hydro as well. Apparently the original owner had been overfilling the heck out of it, was the best guess of the guy at the hydro facility. Pretty rare, but you may want to insist on it passing hydro before the sale is final.

I had another that I recently sold, but which passed hydro no problem. Liked the tanks very much, but I wanted something I could double and didn't want to hassle with the one manifold made that fits that tank's skinny neck, plus the convertible thermo pro valves the new tanks come with are awesome when you want to loan a tank to a friend who has not been converted to DIN yet. Something to consider if you plan to double them at some point, or if you loan tanks to friends with any regularity.

If the tanks are just for you, with no plans to double, and they pass hydro, jump on them because they're great tanks.

Back
Top Bottom