Inflator Hose Routing: Left Shoulder, Right Shoulder, Doesn't matter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rfwoodvt

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Generally speaking I lead with right hand when doing most work tasks, whether it be knot tying, manipulating tools or other such things. There are plenty of times though where I am holding a tool (metal detector) in my left hand that cannot be readily dropped/stowed/dangled to allow me to manipulate my inflator/deflator with my left hand.

While diving my Ranger BC the inflator and tube sit right near my left nipple so I can usually easily reach it just by letting go of the detector handle. But when using my dive rite BPW, the inflator and tube sit further up my shoulder the detector prevents me from reaching it even if I let go of the forward handle.

Am thinking of moving the inflator and tube to my right shoulder as that hand has more freedom of movement when I'm detecting.

Hence the question: Inflator Tube, Left, Right or doesn't matter?

Hence the question: Inflator Tube, Left, Right or doesn't matter?
And several sidemount wings (Razor/Halcyon Contour/etc) have inflator tubes near your butt which helps when a diver is slightly inverted like you would be looking in a head down position. Since often times the threaded dump valve is the same size as the top threaded tube you could easily A)switch it,,,, or B) add a 2nd tube. Just like where to mount a knife, there's no "wrong" configuration if it works for your application.

Try a longer inflator hose so it hangs in the same place as the Ranger.
That was my first thought, but this is the already the longest hose I could find for Dive-Rite (22")

I think part of the reason this one is "short" is that the elbow is centered at the top of the bladder, behind my head, as opposed to the left shoulder like on my ranger.

Would love to find a longer one, any thoughts on where I could find one for a dive-rite fitting?

That was my first thought, but this is the already the longest hose I could find for Dive-Rite (22")

I think part of the reason this one is "short" is that the elbow is centered at the top of the bladder, behind my head, as opposed to the left shoulder like on my ranger.

Would love to find a longer one, any thoughts on where I could find one for a dive-rite fitting?
I don’t know where you could find longer so maybe try switching sides, it will mess with muscle memory a bit I imagine

You could fit this adapter, to any LP hose, to make the required length. The adapter adds 1 & 1/4 inches to the length. (Measured mine with ruler.)

EZ-ON Adapter: Turns LP Reg Hose into BC/Drysuit Inflator Hose
1690207071396.png
📏

IMO, the side doesn't really matter. As long as your buddy/teammate knows what part is doing what and can help you if there's an emergency, you can customize to your heart's content. (GUE would disagree, but that's a special case.)

I, for example, dive SM in an Edd Sorenson-modified Hollis 100D BCD that has the primary inflator coming off the right-hand bottom aperture. Thus, I have to I wear my light on my left hand rather than right hand. It's definitely non-standard, but this setup works very effectively for me.

I just took a newly acquired BP/W (Dive Rite BP with a 30# Oxycheq wing) out for a short test dive today, mostly to check my weight needs. The elbow where the corrugated hose goes into the wing bladder goes into the top rear other has to go up and over the wing and my shoulder to get to the inflator... which is about even with my left nipple. I'm thinking if I'm going to be happy with this rig I'm going to need a significantly longer corrugated hose. Has anybody else had this experience? Are extra length corrugated hoses commonly available?
Since I tend to mix and match my gear anyway, I'm planning on using an AIR2 inflator, so I'll get a longer LP hose with that anyway. I'm thinking if I go about 3" longer with the C hose, it will be just about right, putting the AIR3 at about mid-abdomen.
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom