Question Corrugated inflator hose from the left hip or the right hip?

What do you think is the best position for the inflator hose to come from in sidemount?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've been sidemount diving since 2009. Back then our options were extremely limited and were essentially the Dive Rite Nomad, Hollis SMS100, Golem Gear Armadillo, and the Razor. Over the years I have owned many rigs, been given many rigs, and done prototype work on many rigs but I have always come back to the Dive Rite Nomad that I purchased back in 2009.
The Armadillo had the corrugated hose coming up from the right hip.
The Nomad and then the Hollis answer to it with the SMS100 had the corrugated hose coming from the top with a left hip dump per traditional wings which resulted in what was called the "Sorenson Swap".
Razor was up from the left.

Since my original rig was left hip as the only option and most of the rigs that are sitting in my garage were either iterations of that original Dive Rite rig or iterations of the Razor, they have always come up from the left and I don't know if many people have ever really messed with it.

Why are we discussing this? Well I have the one Nomad that I'm convinced works properly because I have an extra long Transpac attached to it that had to be special ordered and that crushes the top of the wing and fully protects the dump valve from abrasion. They discontinued that option many years ago, but it was time for me to get a new wing and just picked up a Nomad XT wing. The new XT wing has dumps on both sides so it has me re-evaluating whether the corrugated hose on the right is a better option.
Arguments for:
Consistency with doubles where the drysuit hose comes from the left and inflator hose comes from the right. Not a really strong argument, but it's an argument for consistency since I dive both rigs regularly.
When diving sidemount CCR, I would not need an inflator hose on my distribution block and would always have my wing inflator on my right side bottle and if I'm diving dry then I could either add an inflator hose to the distribution block or more likely would have an inflation bottle for drysuit.

Argument Against:
Goes against what is now the "standard" for sidemount rigs
Breaks 12+ years of muscle memory which would take time to figure out
Left shoulder is really busy since the loop is over on that side as well as the O2 addition. Not a problem from a "busy" perspective but it may make inflating with my left hand rather difficult to get around the loop hoses *only a nuisance when on a DPV, but I can scooter lefty so only a minor nuisance*. Could also sort by going the original Armadillo route and use a short corrugated hose and have it come up to the right shoulder d-ring instead of crossing to the left d-ring.
If I run it Armadillo style then I have to get really creative with ports because I already have long hose and QC6 whip for the rebreather going "down" and have the drysuit hose going out, but would have to swap the QC6 and inflator whips and figure out what to do with the QC6 when I'm OC diving.

The good thing is it takes all of 45 seconds to swap from left to right so I'm going to try it out and see, but curious to see what some of the other guys out there have for an argument if you got to choose where it comes from.

How often are you on a CCR dive without mix in your dilout or doubles? Where does your inflation bottle go?

You know, if you ran your KISSkat on the right, your turreted left dilout would have a necklaced second pointing up, a splitter on the fifth port for a wing inflate and QC6 to drive the unit, and an SPG (bc obviously sidemount inlets should always be run towards the ceiling or into the body) and none of this valve opening towards the ground stuff.

You’re probably not running a true SM CCR without redundant bailout, so your gas sharing long hose (if you elect to use one) is always tucked on a stage on the left hand side below your primary dilout or below your CCR. All other bottles leashed on your left butt.

I’d add, if you do it this way, your left bottle is identical OC SM or SM CCR, and you don’t have to change things when you clip your CCR to your right side in a set of doubles (yeah yeah it’s partially over long hose but what’s the point of your height if you can’t untangle that around the sphere and you’re probably not in a mixed team w this).

How often are you on a CCR dive without mix in your dilout or doubles? Where does your inflation bottle go?

You know, if you ran your KISSkat on the right, your turreted left dilout would have a necklaced second pointing up, a splitter on the fifth port for a wing inflate and QC6 to drive the unit, and an SPG (bc obviously sidemount inlets should always be run towards the ceiling or into the body) and none of this valve opening towards the ground stuff.

You’re probably not running a true SM CCR without redundant bailout, so your gas sharing long hose (if you elect to use one) is always tucked on a stage on the left hand side below your primary dilout or below your CCR. All other bottles leashed on your left butt.

Almost never not on trimix with CCR with doubles, somewhat frequently on sidemount depending on where I'm going and often diving wet.

Inflation bottle is still being messed with, but currently butt mounted

Valve outlets are aimed into my armpits.

Kisskat on the right would have the long hose attached to the kisskat and donating from that which I'm not terribly opposed to, but then it would end up on the right in backmount as well and that would really mess with my configuration so I really don't want to do that.

I don't run redundant bailout due to squeezy stuff, but I do have a 3l strapped to the unit for diluent and am contemplating H-valve on the right, though still contemplating that.

All stages butt mounted because slinging stages in sidemount sucks :p

I dive my bare bones Nomad with the dump on the left, inflator on the right…

Extended the dump line and have it come out the ‘top’ behind my suit bottle (1 or 2L tucked into the bungee webbing on the wing) if that makes sense…

Sidekick on the left, DILOUT on the right….

_R

The best place is where you put it. If you see 10 sidemount divers, you will see 15 different gear configurations.

I dive my bare bones Nomad with the dump on the left, inflator on the right…

Extended the dump line and have it come out the ‘top’ behind my suit bottle (1 or 2L tucked into the bungee webbing on the wing) if that makes sense…

Sidekick on the left, DILOUT on the right….

_R
That's exactly how mine has been configured since 2009! question is whether I change it up or not. I will for a few dives and see what happens. If I hate it it's not like it takes more than 90 seconds to swap the inflator from the right back to the left. May also put a blanking plug on it instead of an extra dump on the hip, not sure I will ever use it.

The best place is where you put it. If you see 10 sidemount divers, you will see 15 different gear configurations.

This is true, but we do seem to be moving towards some level of consistency in the configuration with very few outliers these days.

Mine comes from left hip. No reason to change.

More intrigued by all stages on butt in SM....should I start another thread?

Can't really help because I don't have CCR experience. I am very skeptical that changing is worth breaking 12 years of muscle memory, though if the routing advantages are worth putting in the time to relearn your muscle memory then that's that.

I have tried both right and left hip and I firmly prefer the left hip, but I don't have CCR stuff to worry about either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom