Question Corrugated inflator hose from the left hip or the right hip?

What do you think is the best position for the inflator hose to come from in sidemount?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asinine for air sharing yes. You give someone a stage bottle if they need it, you don't try to exit single file while air sharing. 7ft hoses crossed underneath a diver is very dangerous and quite uncomfortable for the guy receiving the gas since it is being torqued out of his mouth and uncomfortable for the guy in back because the effective length of the hose is MUCH shorter.

I don't disagree about when you're not sharing gas in terms of comfort though it does make the short hose on the right weird since it can't go behind your neck, but this is part of planning for the worst and hoping for the best. If I have to share gas with someone, under no circumstances do I deem it acceptable to have a long hose crossed under their body and making a ~135* bend to get into their mouth at a tight radius, that's asking for trouble. It is almost as idiotic as 5ft hoses or the concept of passing primary bottles off. If we were talking true exploration dives only where the only chance of encountering another diver was someone from your team of support divers that had similar configurations then we can have a different discussion, but unfortunately it does center around yahoo's diving in Ginnie, Peacock, and the rest of the tourist caves.
There's no "under the body crossing" going on. If you were in true single file it crosses over the tops of the recipient's legs not really any different than coming off the right post in doubles. The donating diver holds it in position on the back of the recipient's thigh just like any other single file long hose touch contact donation. It makes not a whit of difference which side of the body it originates on.

When you dive the SK with doubles where are your stages then? All left with the SK left too?

There's no "under the body crossing" going on. If you were in true single file it crosses over the tops of the recipient's legs not really any different than coming off the right post in doubles. The donating diver holds it in position on the back of the recipient's thigh just like any other single file long hose touch contact donation. It makes not a whit of difference which side of the body it originates on.

When you dive the SK with doubles where are your stages then? All left with the SK left too?
It still has to cross which reduces the effective length. When you're almost 6'4" and many of your buddies are that big as well it really does matter. It also matters when you put the first stages truly underneath your armpits instead of farther forward and every inch does certainly count.

When I dive the SK with doubles I use LP120's for backgas which helps minimize the stages carried since that is quite a bit of gas, but the first stage goes on the left under the sidekick *it's truly sidemounted so one hangs underneath it pretty easily* and subsequent ones are typically put on a leash and butt mounted. On the CCR they can have 21/35 or 30/30 in them which makes them pretty tolerable to tote around

@jale with the sphere on the bottom there is no way you could hook a long hose behind the unit and even without it I would be highly skeptical of anyone trying to hook it like you would with a canister light. I can probably reach the bottom without a sphere but at the same time I would never consider using one without a sphere.
The long hose is ok with the SK but, as I said, I don't use a sphere.
And why can you not consider the SK "sphereless"?!

The long hose is ok with the SK but, as I said, I don't use a sphere.
And why can you not consider the SK "sphereless"?!
no clean way to keep O2 on it. If you don't have a sphere and use it with backmount then the strapped on bottle of O2 interferes with any stages/deco bottles you need to carry, and in sidemount that space is used for spare small dil bottle.

That all said though the unit doesn't really have much of a place anymore with the sidemount Liberty out and the sidemount Meg coming very soon

no clean way to keep O2 on it. If you don't have a sphere and use it with backmount then the strapped on bottle of O2 interferes with any stages/deco bottles you need to carry, and in sidemount that space is used for spare small dil bottle.

That all said though the unit doesn't really have much of a place anymore with the sidemount Liberty out and the sidemount Meg coming very soon
If you put the SK on the right, you don't have any problem with the oxy tank on the unit. It fits nicely.
I think the unit is really modular as it can be configurated in different way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom