Question Corrugated inflator hose from the left hip or the right hip?

What do you think is the best position for the inflator hose to come from in sidemount?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
SM rig with SK on the right with oxy on right and Dil and xtra on left, inflator on left.
BM rig with SK on the right woth oxy on right, Dil on BM, xtra on left, inflator on left
Why SK on the left?

Hi
SM rig with SK on the right with oxy on right and Dil and xtra on left, inflator on left.
BM rig with SK on the right woth oxy on right, Dil on BM, xtra on left, inflator on left
Why SK on the left?

in cave diving the long hose goes on the right bottle, you want to keep the long hose, so put the sidekick on the left
backmount, all the stage bottles go on the left, the sidekick is similar to a stage bottle and keeps the long hose/dpv free and clear, keep the rebreather on the left

O2 is in a sphere on the bottom of the unit and a spare dil bottle straps onto the unit when I'm diving sidemount and doubles as drysuit inflation in backmount.

I've never understood why the europeans put the sidemount breathers on the right hand side.

in cave diving the long hose goes on the right bottle, you want to keep the long hose, so put the sidekick on the left
backmount, all the stage bottles go on the left, the sidekick is similar to a stage bottle and keeps the long hose/dpv free and clear, keep the rebreather on the left

O2 is in a sphere on the bottom of the unit and a spare dil bottle straps onto the unit when I'm diving sidemount and doubles as drysuit inflation in backmount.

I've never understood why the europeans put the sidemount breathers on the right hand side.
The Europeans don't understand why you would like to dive CCR in cave in a mixed team :)
And even if you dive in a mixed team, with a SK, the long hose is not a problem and you don't even need to go out of the loop to give it.
With BM, your long hose setting is the same going down along the wing, coming back along your torso. The SK is short enough to do that (even with a sphere I suppose but I may be wrong as I don't use a sphere).
With SM, you can put a tank on the right with a long hose (2 on left, 1 on right with SK).
By putting the SM CCR on the right, you just add a tool to your base config; looks more Higarth to me.

The Europeans don't understand why you would like to dive CCR in cave in a mixed team :)
And even if you dive in a mixed team, with a SK, the long hose is not a problem and you don't even need to go out of the loop to give it.
With BM, your long hose setting is the same going down along the wing, coming back along your torso. The SK is short enough to do that (even with a sphere I suppose but I may be wrong as I don't use a sphere).
With SM, you can put a tank on the right with a long hose (2 on left, 1 on right with SK).
By putting the SM CCR on the right, you just add a tool to your base config; looks more Higarth to me.
Whether I choose to dive in a mixed team or not has no bearing on a very real issue which is sharing gas with a random diver in the cave that was not part of your intended team. It happens, it's really annoying.
I do not have to get off the loop to donate the long hose in sidemount, and while I do in backmount, I have a short hose around my neck that is fed from the rebreather via the QC6 from the right bottle so it's a non issue.
Since the long hose is on the right bottle, if you put the CCR on the right hand side then where does the long hose go?

In backmount, you can't donate a long hose with a bottle clipped off to your right hand side without coming off of the loop and it gets really weird in terms of connection because the long hose is trapped between the two attachment points, nothing to do with the units length.

How does CCR on the right look hogarthian when the hogarthian configuration doesn't even have a hip d-ring on the right side and you haven't given a real advantage of putting it on the right.

Whether I choose to dive in a mixed team or not has no bearing on a very real issue which is sharing gas with a random diver in the cave that was not part of your intended team. It happens, it's really annoying.
I do not have to get off the loop to donate the long hose in sidemount, and while I do in backmount, I have a short hose around my neck that is fed from the rebreather via the QC6 from the right bottle so it's a non issue.
Since the long hose is on the right bottle, if you put the CCR on the right hand side then where does the long hose go?

In backmount, you can't donate a long hose with a bottle clipped off to your right hand side without coming off of the loop and it gets really weird in terms of connection because the long hose is trapped between the two attachment points, nothing to do with the units length.

How does CCR on the right look hogarthian when the hogarthian configuration doesn't even have a hip d-ring on the right side and you haven't given a real advantage of putting it on the right.
"a random diver in the cave" is not something we encounter often in a cave in Europe even if solo cave dive is quite common here.
I don't get this fixation on long hose...
SM: SK, on the right, xtra tank on the right, below the SK, with first part of the long hose loved along the tank and the top coming around your neck with second clipped with breakable link on your right.
BM: SK, on the right, long hose coming as normal from your BM, going down along the wing, going around the bottom of the SK, coming back along your left side of your neck with second clipped with breakable link on your right,
No need to go out of the loop and same procedure-setting on both cases.
Indeed, a Hogarthian config doesn't have a right side D-ring but nothing stop you to put one and don't you have an extra buckle to stop the light canister?
One of the advantage about putting the SK on the right is I don't even think of asking myself questions about the position of the inflator wing.
Another one is that I just add the CCR to a config I have been diving for ages. The left side being the dynamic side where tanks rotate, move, ...., the right being the "stable side" with the CCR and its oxy being easy to be put on and being independant if needed.
But of course, we all have our preferences and if it works for you, fine :)

@jale with the sphere on the bottom there is no way you could hook a long hose behind the unit and even without it I would be highly skeptical of anyone trying to hook it like you would with a canister light. I can probably reach the bottom without a sphere but at the same time I would never consider using one without a sphere.

For wreck diving I have my deep BO on the left side with a long hose on it. For a variety of reasons deep BO left is more or less standard for backmounted CCRs. Right side is my 50% bottle. Long hose left is not a big deal. Shoot many CCR divers don't even use a long hose at all, so my left sided stuffed long hose is gravy.

There is no requirement that the long hosed bottle be on the right, just convention. Heck some OC SM cave divers put 5ft hoses on both bottles and various other strategies. I'm not sure why you are wedded to long hose right strictly to satisfy some random diver in a cave (and how many times have you ever actually donated to a rando and why?)

For wreck diving I have my deep BO on the left side with a long hose on it. For a variety of reasons deep BO left is more or less standard for backmounted CCRs. Right side is my 50% bottle. Long hose left is not a big deal. Shoot many CCR divers don't even use a long hose at all, so my left sided stuffed long hose is gravy.

There is no requirement that the long hosed bottle be on the right, just convention. Heck some OC SM cave divers put 5ft hoses on both bottles and various other strategies. I'm not sure why you are wedded to long hose right strictly to satisfy some random diver in a cave (and how many times have you ever actually donated to a rando and why?)
I do not believe 5ft hoses are safe, anything that would involve the diver crossing the hose underneath them *long hose on left side with a normal regulator* is nothing short of asinine and long hose on the left with a left regulator is fine but would mean it coming directly up to your mouth or would still cross your chest to reverse hog loop. In that case the loop still has to come out.
I use Poseidon second stages and don't hog loop them, but I do believe that since most people are trained to dive with the regulators "normal" that I don't want to cause undue change during an OOA incident.
I have given a regulator to a rando in a cave once. He did not want to talk about why he needed gas. It happens in the tourist caves once or twice a year, especially those that allow solo diving.

It should be noted though that the inflator hose for the left vs. right has fairly little to do with the CCR, it was just pointing out the points that need to be thought about because of the unit.

I do not believe 5ft hoses are safe, anything that would involve the diver crossing the hose underneath them *long hose on left side with a normal regulator* is nothing short of asinine and long hose on the left with a left regulator is fine but would mean it coming directly up to your mouth or would still cross your chest to reverse hog loop. In that case the loop still has to come out.
I use Poseidon second stages and don't hog loop them, but I do believe that since most people are trained to dive with the regulators "normal" that I don't want to cause undue change during an OOA incident.
I have given a regulator to a rando in a cave once. He did not want to talk about why he needed gas. It happens in the tourist caves once or twice a year, especially those that allow solo diving.

It should be noted though that the inflator hose for the left vs. right has fairly little to do with the CCR, it was just pointing out the points that need to be thought about because of the unit.
Huh? Asinine? Hose routing for a stuffed long hose on the left is just like on a stage (just with a whole lot of extra hose). And after donating to an OOA diver, the hose routing is no different than after donating from your mouth when using a left sided stage bottle - although its actually a lot easier with a 7ft hose vs a 40" hose. If you need to use it yourself you're obviously coming off the loop anyway, so just pull out a portion of the 7ft and it goes from your armpit, behind your head, to your mouth. You can use a normal right sided regulator just fine.

Huh? Asinine? Hose routing for a stuffed long hose on the left is just like on a stage (just with a whole lot of extra hose). And after donating to an OOA diver, the hose routing is no different than after donating from your mouth when using a left sided stage bottle - although its actually a lot easier with a 7ft hose vs a 40" hose. If you need to use it yourself you're obviously coming off the loop anyway, so just pull out a portion of the 7ft and it goes from your armpit, behind your head, to your mouth. You can use a normal right sided regulator just fine.
asinine for air sharing yes. You give someone a stage bottle if they need it, you don't try to exit single file while air sharing. 7ft hoses crossed underneath a diver is very dangerous and quite uncomfortable for the guy receiving the gas since it is being torqued out of his mouth and uncomfortable for the guy in back because the effective length of the hose is MUCH shorter.

I don't disagree about when you're not sharing gas in terms of comfort though it does make the short hose on the right weird since it can't go behind your neck, but this is part of planning for the worst and hoping for the best. If I have to share gas with someone, under no circumstances do I deem it acceptable to have a long hose crossed under their body and making a ~135* bend to get into their mouth at a tight radius, that's asking for trouble. It is almost as idiotic as 5ft hoses or the concept of passing primary bottles off. If we were talking true exploration dives only where the only chance of encountering another diver was someone from your team of support divers that had similar configurations then we can have a different discussion, but unfortunately it does center around yahoo's diving in Ginnie, Peacock, and the rest of the tourist caves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom