Inexperienced solo divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one more:
Lost fin: Buddy tows // Swim with arms
and/or // swim with one fin. Try hooking your fin-less foot behind the other. You might be surprised how much power you'll have using this modified dolphin kick.

Thank you Andrew, for a) starting this thread, b) getting me to finally join some groups on this board so I could read it, and c) looking out for me. I, am that buddy, I don't have a car, only a motorcycle, so I tend to take all my gear on my back and head down. I've found 2-3 buddies who can dive 1-2 times a month, but I would much prefer dive 2-3 days a week, 2-5 times per day (depending on proximity of air fills). One small factor that goes in my favor is that I TA an the University for 2 of their scuba basic O/W sessions each week, so I have by now over 100 pool sessions. It doesn't substitute for ocean dives, but leads me to be very comfortable ditching and recovering gear if need be as well as staying calm (can't help others if I don't help myself first).

From these posts and a few others, I think I'll pick up a pony bottle and straps to attach it beside my tank. I thank everyone for their input, and if any of you are in the Santa Cruz area and need a dive buddy, hit me up 415-571-5588 and I'm free tuesday / thursdays, and most weekends.

...One small factor that goes in my favor is that I TA an the University for 2 of their scuba basic O/W sessions each week, so I have by now over 100 pool sessions...

I would fear that the rumor of solo diving might get you black-balled as a Scuba TA by some less enlightened individuals — unless you are really Jane the art major at the University of Santa Clara. :wink: I am guessing that some of the instructors would prefer to hide the very existence of solo diving rather than have a glaring example working with them.

IMHO, pool time "can" count for just as much as an ocean dive. In fact; analyzing a dive, no matter how unworthy of logging, can be more enlightening than the dive itself. I believe the most meaningful criterion is whether you learn something or not.

From these posts and a few others, I think I'll pick up a pony bottle and straps to attach it beside my tank.

YOu might want to give some thought to how you attach it. There are different ways. One way is illustrated by the picture below. We call it "slung" and basically you attach some clips to the (pony) cylinder and attach one end of the clip to a D-ring at around armpit level and the other one to a D-ring at waist level. I don't know if your BCD will allow for that but if it does then it's worth considering.

The cylinder in the picture is much larger than you need for bailout purposes. Generally people opt for a 19cf (3liter) bottle for bailout on shallow dives. You will also need an extra regulator, of course, and if you opt to hang your pony like this it might be worth getting someone with experience to show you how to set it up.

Personally I like the "slung" thing because it's out of the way but easy to deploy with little risk of it getting snagged on something where you can't reach it to untangle it. That, in a nutshell, is my main objection to attaching the pony to your main tank.

However you decide to do it, the most important thing is that you also practice deploying it because *if* you need it for real then that's the wrong time to get "practice"

Have fun.

R..

advanced-nitrox-diving-18.jpg

Look I Solo dive too. We're missing something here folks! Diving in and of itself is dangerous. Equipment gets better and better and more reliable, we can depend upon it. But the fact of the matter is "the Human hand touches it, therefore it (equipment) is subject to error"
Now I don't know the original OP's friend, and from the original post it seems he/she is being conservative - not diving deep, diving in a familiar spot, checking in with someone. I do those things too. But here is the issue in my mind: Diving solo increases the risk (of what-name it) - IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOU, WHOM ARE U GOING TO LEAVE BEHIND! This question supercedes EVERYTHING! And should go thru your head everytime you go out solo. I love diving and I love diving solo. But I love the people who love me more!
Years ago a guy lost his life up on Mt. Fairweather, steepest mountain in North America, he left behind a Bride of 5 years and a daughter of 3, why on "Gods green earth was he up there" in the first place? don't know - History
If it applies - think about it....JC

We're young, have steady girlfriends, no dependents. Our parents are young enough to look after themselves and our grandparents are already dead. Please don't take this out of context; it just seemed like johncayce deserved a response.

The big thing for me here is that I don't solo dive (although I have been curious), and neither do any of our friends. Most of our friends consider solo diving to be akin to buying a coffin, so it's making it hard for my mate to learn how to minimize his liability. I try to keep an open mind on most stuff, and every one of my "I could have done that better" situations involved the buddy system (some my fault, some their fault, some shared).

I'm not really trying to get into "how risky is solo diving"; rather I'm interested in "given that solo diving will occur, how can risk be minimized." Make parallels to abortion and birth control if you wish :)

We're young, have steady girlfriends, no dependents. Our parents are young enough to look after themselves and our grandparents are already dead. Please don't take this out of context; it just seemed like johncayce deserved a response.

The big thing for me here is that I don't solo dive (although I have been curious), and neither do any of our friends. Most of our friends consider solo diving to be akin to buying a coffin, so it's making it hard for my mate to learn how to minimize his liability. I try to keep an open mind on most stuff, and every one of my "I could have done that better" situations involved the buddy system (some my fault, some their fault, some shared).

I'm not really trying to get into "how risky is solo diving"; rather I'm interested in "given that solo diving will occur, how can risk be minimized." Make parallels to abortion and birth control if you wish :)

aquaregia,

We tend to get all wrapped-up in the "what-if's". Many of my friends consider scuba to be an extreme sport. I don't see it that way. Any time you are on, in or under the water, there is a chance you can drown.

Breathing compressed air adds unique "problems" in the form of DCS, AGE, narcosis, ox-tox.... but in basic OW training we learned how to avoid or reduce the chance of a "diving injury"... so that brings us back to drowning.

Drowning is the BAD thing most of us are trying to prevent when we dive. But I actually feel "safer" scuba diving at 60' than I do freediving or just going for a swim in the ocean. You see, I have about an hour's worth of air on my back.... for that hour, it will be darned tough for me to drown. If I watch my depth and time, keep very close track of my air consumption, stay very aware of my surroundings, don't swim under, through or near anything that can entrap or entagle me, don't swim too far from my exit point, don't get lost, etc., I will be "ok". Safer than if I was swimming on the surface.

So, if you look at the basic underlying danger with scuba (drowning), and look at the chain of events that can lead to it, you can avoid most dangerours situations and reduce the overall risk. Entanglement, entrapment, and injury or "health issue" are the ones that may not have good outcomes without a good buddy nearby to assist you. Equipment failures are rare enough to not be a major concern, but still need to be considered.

When you dive without a buddy, you do lose a potential "second chance". The solo diver needs to accept that, and try to avoid situations that might require outside assistance to "get out of".

The main danger as I see it is that a newish diver might not cleary recognize when a dive is starting to "go south", or might not have the experience to deal with unexpected problems.

As far as redundancy and "special procedures".... be solid on the "basics" first: Good buoyancy, good mask skills, good planning, good navigation, good situational awareness, good swimming skills, good fitness.

Know your typical air consumption rate, and how it applies to planning a dive. Be fully familiar and comfortable with your equipment, be able to don and doff on the surface and at depth.

Above all, "Stay shallow, stay close" when you are first starting out (solo, or with a buddy).

Best wishes.

aquaregia aquaregia aquaregia. Dude. Well handled.
The guy on top of your head there it seems like he wants to start a kids forum.
It's like you and your bud were walking past his club minding your own business and suddenly the whole congregation is chasing you down the street wanting to perform a circumcision.

I can't tell you crap from clay but it's interesting when you can hear on all the threads industry connected folks and others veins bulging because they can't really tell you what they want to and sometimes give away a bit more after imbibing in intoxicating substances.

So still I can't tell you crap from clay other than when I was in your gear situation of having scratched together all my bits and pieces half of what you have all be it 10 or fifteen years younger I went. This makes a humongous difference. It was very different then and that aint no old man bull coming out. 50 is the new 30.

I dive in any gear, the only difference is air capacity and weight.

There is so much to this diving business, are you going sideways are you going up and down.

So be very careful getting in and out on all your dives, you may fall in or out.
So take a pony on your back on all your dives, you will never use it.
So if there is a group chasing you down the street with two pronged knives, run.
Now all that's left is a decision.

I'm not so rambunctious this evening, I was up half the night on a quest.
You can come solo with me anytime but at the moment I'm hatching a bucket list to stalk a few Boarders sneak up and frighten the crap out of them one day.

Hawaii sounds nice:panicbutton:

In relation to what Mr LeadTurn_SD is saying. Do you know how easy it is to drown on the surface with the in and the out.

Look I Solo dive too. We're missing something here folks! Diving in and of itself is dangerous…

Ladies and gentleman, we are taking about a guy who rides to the dive site with a 3000 PSI cylinder on a motorcycle along California's Highway 1!

I have a theory. Males tend not to begin developing their sense of self preservation until maybe 35. Just watch children play. Boy jumps off wall, little girl somehow knows she ain't doing that. I suspect that Peter Pan's genes are hopeless intertwined with male DNA. :wink:

On a somewhat related note: I appear to suffer from severe motorcycle narcosis. I look at a bike, tell myself not to do anything stupid like the last time, and regain limited consciousness with chest hard against the gas tank looking at the speedometer rolling past 90 MPH. Like an alcoholic, I just can’t allow myself get close to them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom