Inexpensive way to stay on (or near) the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeditdog

Registered
Reaction score
I've finally been able to get family, work, and business travel to line up and I'm planning to do some diving Sep 21 & 22 and would love to get to do it in The Florida Keys.

I save my hotel points for when I travel with my wife-- my quality standards are much lower :)

Is it possible to camp anywhere? All my searches show RV parks, but I'd want a tent campground. Am I better off just getting a cheap hotel in Florida City?

I know there were headlines recently of Red Tide, is there a better area to be diving right now?

Red Tide isn't really affecting the Keys. It's primarily on Gulf side near Sarasota and Ft Meyers.

Most RV parks will let you throw up a tent, your best bet is to just call them and see if they have availability.

The last time I was in the Keys I stayed in an AirBnB and found it to be cost effective and a good experience.

You may find that there are AirBnBs that are cost competitive with campsites, because it is an expensive area to camp.

Stayed in a motel in Homestead on one trip, $50/night and a 20 minute drive to KL.

jeditdog,.................. are you a veteran? If so use navy housing navy lodge etc. Key west cost me 60 a night instead of the 2-300 in the motels.

I also have done AirBnBs in the Key Largo area. Very cost effective, and nicer than a cheap motel, in my experience.

I like tent camping and have stayed in Curray Hammock, Bahia Honda and Long Key State Parks more than a dozen times in the last decade.

All are good options depending on where you want to dive. My favorite is Curray Hammock since its small and given its location on the east side if Marathon, its an easy morning drive to Conch Republic Divers on Tavernier, to Key West or to Marathon. The other two are longer drives toward Key Largo but are good for Marathon or KW.

For tent camping, I'd avoid Pennekamp, its really set up for RVs.

Note that it will still be pretty hot that time of year. I made a port (or sock) for my tent and have taken a window a/c unit to cool down the tent at night. All the sites I noted have campsite electricity.

Key West Inn (in Key Largo), Pirates Cove and Hungry Pelican all used to be cheap hotels.... Its been a year since I've stayed in any of them. None are all that great but were cheap

Florida City is a crime pit.

Horizon Divers in Key Largo has a bunk house over the shop for 30 a night. Full kitchen and frosty AC for $30 a night.

I stayed at the Travelodge in Homestead/Florida City. I'm staying there again this upcoming trip later this month. Quiet and nice motel with a 20min drive to Key Largo

Florida city is an option but I would try AirBnB . I have a friend who has 2 houseboats Little Bamboo
and Big Bamboo , great location in Key Largo and reasonable prices . Not to mention great sunsets !
Sea Dwellers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom