Indoor exercises for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would anyone happen to have suggestions for a diver who has two trashed shoulders and two trashed knees? At one point I was a cyclist so my legs are still quite strong and in decent shape, but my core strength never was that great and I've managed to grow a gut since I'm not longer able to ride bikes or run. I need cardio/calorie burning more than I do muscle building.

Swimming is inconvenient for me since I only have access to a pool for about two hours one day a week, and just doing laps is mind numbingly boring. I can walk pretty much forever with no pain, but it's so low impact I don't think it helps much.

This is difficult to explain without a diagram but one thing I do regularly to help with trim is to lay on an elevated surface (like a coffee table) with only your chest supported and bend your knees pull your legs into proper trim (thighs parallel and lower legs bent 90 degrees at the knee) and hold that position for intervals of 45 seconds or so. Do as many sets as you can. It will strengthen your abs and glutes and make it much easier to hold trim.

This is difficult to explain without a diagram but one thing I do regularly to help with trim is to lay on an elevated surface (like a coffee table) with only your chest supported and bend your knees pull your legs into proper trim (thighs parallel and lower legs bent 90 degrees at the knee) and hold that position for intervals of 45 seconds or so. Do as many sets as you can. It will strengthen your abs and glutes and make it much easier to hold trim.

How does your coffee table feel about this?

It's not my coffee table but rather my wife that I have to worry about!

The most important IMO is cardiovascular health, and the best exercise for this is motorized treadmill with heart-rate monitoring. You should get up to at least 3 minutes at 4.2 mph on a 15% grade. That's the minimum recommended by PADI and is roughly 13 METS.

I think Tobin posted about this in another thread, but another way to practice this move is to get one of this balance balls (Amazon had a some for $10 the other day) and balance on your tummy to practice.

The most important IMO is cardiovascular health, and the best exercise for this is motorized treadmill with heart-rate monitoring. You should get up to at least 3 minutes at 4.2 mph on a 15% grade. That's the minimum recommended by PADI and is roughly 13 METS.

The number of divers we see suffering heart attacks is proof that cardiovascular exercise should be part of your routine.

Would anyone happen to have suggestions for a diver who has two trashed shoulders and two trashed knees? At one point I was a cyclist so my legs are still quite strong and in decent shape, but my core strength never was that great and I've managed to grow a gut since I'm not longer able to ride bikes or run. I need cardio/calorie burning more than I do muscle building.

Swimming is inconvenient for me since I only have access to a pool for about two hours one day a week, and just doing laps is mind numbingly boring. I can walk pretty much forever with no pain, but it's so low impact I don't think it helps much.

Pilates for core exercises :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom