Indonesia / Bali / Komodo - diving tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko, consider it done... This may be a service to humanity (and to Emily)!
That's what I call customer service! :p
I wasn't expecting less from you.

Please stop telling people how sweet Tulamben is. It is terrible and horrible and devoid of macro life (and anything else) and you might die. You should all go somewhere else and not dive there ever.
Yes, sorry you're right. :facepalm:

Erratum on my post, pls read now :
Destination A : No macro, NoGo and you might die as well. (Especially if a french instructor shuts down your air valve)

First of all, apologizes for my late reply; and, secondly, many thanks to everyone for all your great advices!

I can finally do 10 diving days; so, based on most of your comments, I think I could:
  1. Fly directly to Labuan Bajo, taking a liveboard for around 5 days in southern sites: Torpedo Alley, Cannibal Rock, Yellow Wall, Crynoid Canyon, Nusa Kode, Manta Alley..??

2. Fly back to Bali, and try one of those dive centers in Tulamben, Padang Bai,..

3. Not sure if I’ll have the time to see one of those famous hug lizards in Komodo though??..
Any liveboards boats recommendations in the south of Komodo?

Thank you again!
Antonio

First of all, apologizes for my late reply; and, secondly, many thanks to everyone for all your great advices!

I can finally do 10 diving days; so, based on most of your comments, I think I could:
  1. Fly directly to Labuan Bajo, taking a liveboard for around 5 days in southern sites: Torpedo Alley, Cannibal Rock, Yellow Wall, Crynoid Canyon, Nusa Kode, Manta Alley..??

2. Fly back to Bali, and try one of those dive centers in Tulamben, Padang Bai,..

3. Not sure if I’ll have the time to see one of those famous hug lizards in Komodo though??..
Any liveboards boats recommendations in the south of Komodo?

Thank you again!
Antonio

You might have 2 chances to see the Komodo dragons. 1. In the Komodo National Park itself in one morning or afternoon. 2. On the beach in South Rinca during a surface interval. I saw them parading on the beach a couple times.

77DA3CFF-7B8D-4196-9198-98C1E767E5FA.jpeg
52A05175-2F04-4771-9E48-0D24914B7C96.jpeg

As far as which boat, go to liveaboard.com Search Results I highly recommend Mermaid liveaboards that do a roundtrip from Bali-Komodo-Bali so you don’t need to fly to LBJ. However, the timing may not match with your schedule.

2. Not sure if I’ll have the time to see one of those famous hug lizards in Komodo though??..
Antonio

These sites that you mention, other than Manta Alley, are all in the Nusa Kode/Horseshoe Bay area. This is exactly where the photos that Dan posted are from. Easy to see them during the surface interval between dives... Late afternoon preferred for the best light for photos..

I got the impression all the Komodo liveaboards stop at Rinca to show the divers the dragons. Some do not?

I got the impression all the Komodo liveaboards stop at Rinca to show the divers the dragons. Some do not?
If you mean the Horseshoe Bay area in south Rinca then the big ones do, however, many of the smaller ones, especially those based in LBJ all year round, will only do it in the low season. This is due to rougher weather in the south during "high season" (May - Oct) Also, many of the smaller boats only do short itineraries and so stay in the north during high season. They then concentrate more on the middle and south during the low season.
The bigger boats which are there May to Oct will mostly include a day or two in south Rinca during that time unless the weather is not conducive.

However, if you mean the Ranger station at north Rinca or Komodo then yes, most if not all liveaboards will call in to one of them.

@aramil

Have you bought your tickets and have set dates already? A challenge may be finding a LOB that aligns with dates that you need.

Assuming dates line up and there is availability, @Dan_T ’s suggestion is an efficient option. The trade off is that you will likely pay a bit more for this liveaboard on a per day cost than some more budget options that stay in Komodo proper but you get to dive both regions in one fell swoop. It’s a 10 day commitment , though, and you will spend time to and from Bali while diving along the way which will mean fewer days to dive in Komodo proper. This will also mean no time for land based diving in Bali for you. Decisions!

Mermaid is supposed to be really good. I booked my first trip on her for next year!

This is purely anecdotal but I have a friend that did the Bali-Komodo route (on Mermaid) last year and they were disappointed with the diving before arriving Komodo. Then he told me about the dynamite fishing remnants and that was sad. :( It sounded like he was okay with the itinerary but given how underwhelmed he was with some of the diving, in hindsight he would have just done a 7 day full Komodo instead. He’s going back to Komodo again next year and just booked a liveaboard for that. Your mileage may vary but just wanted to share.

. . . However, if you mean the Ranger station at north Rinca or Komodo then yes, most if not all liveaboards will call in to one of them.

Yeah, that's where mine stopped. I just wanted to assure @aramil that he doesn't have to arrange some kind of side tour on his own, because it's likely his liveaboard will make a stop there for the divers to see the dragons. EVERYONE wants to see the dragons, unless, I suppose, this is your third Komodo liveaboard trip--then I suppose it could get old.

Yeah, that's where mine stopped. I just wanted to assure @aramil that he doesn't have to arrange some kind of side tour on his own, because it's likely his liveaboard will make a stop there for the divers to see the dragons. EVERYONE wants to see the dragons, unless, I suppose, this is your third Komodo liveaboard trip--then I suppose it could get old.

I went to Komodo with liveaboard 3 times. All of them include a visit to the Komodo sanctuary park either in Rinca or in Komodo island. That’s one of the main reasons for 2 non-divers (wifes of 2 dive buddies) wanted to come along, besides doing some land tours in Bali. Without such attraction, you’ll see more divers flocking to Raja Ampat.

You might have 2 chances to see the Komodo dragons. 1. In the Komodo National Park itself in one morning or afternoon. 2. On the beach in South Rinca during a surface interval. I saw them parading on the beach a couple times.

View attachment 446582 View attachment 446583

As far as which boat, go to liveaboard.com Search Results I highly recommend Mermaid liveaboards that do a roundtrip from Bali-Komodo-Bali so you don’t need to fly to LBJ. However, the timing may not match with your schedule.

Great pics!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom