Indonesia / Bali / Komodo - diving tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@aramil

Have you bought your tickets and have set dates already? A challenge may be finding a LOB that aligns with dates that you need.

Assuming dates line up and there is availability, @Dan_T ’s suggestion is an efficient option. The trade off is that you will likely pay a bit more for this liveaboard on a per day cost than some more budget options that stay in Komodo proper but you get to dive both regions in one fell swoop. It’s a 10 day commitment , though, and you will spend time to and from Bali while diving along the way which will mean fewer days to dive in Komodo proper. This will also mean no time for land based diving in Bali for you. Decisions!

Mermaid is supposed to be really good. I booked my first trip on her for next year!

This is purely anecdotal but I have a friend that did the Bali-Komodo route (on Mermaid) last year and they were disappointed with the diving before arriving Komodo. Then he told me about the dynamite fishing remnants and that was sad. :( It sounded like he was okay with the itinerary but given how underwhelmed he was with some of the diving, in hindsight he would have just done a 7 day full Komodo instead. He’s going back to Komodo again next year and just booked a liveaboard for that. Your mileage may vary but just wanted to share.

That's exactly right, first thing is to find the right LOB adpated to my dates. Tks!

That's exactly right, first thing is to find the right LOB adpated to my dates. Tks!

Some liveaboards (usually run by the dive shops) have a hop-on hop-off flexibility. You can join for half the week and join anytime or have times that you can join that are staggered to the usual start times that you may find on Liveaboard.com or PADI Travel (forrmerly Diviac). I know Mastro Aldo do this when I was with them. There is another one that does it as well that I was considering a few weeks ago but I can't remember which one it is.

Just make sure the schedule includes the south, you do not want to miss it.
I would look for one that stays out in the park the whole time.
About a year ago I did a trip on the Weta Molas a very budget boat. So budget that they let you book for staying on deck.
It was a 4 day southern trip. Yes we went to Horseshoe Bay, the weather cooperated and I made sure that would be the only reason for the boat to go south.
We didn't do Manta Alley which can be off the hook. But we did do 3 dives in Horseshoe Bay.
What is your budget per day of diving?

I’m watching Planet Earth II, Islands episode now in Netflix. It covers Komodo dragons. Really cool to watch it before you go there. :)

EVERYONE wants to see the dragons, unless, I suppose, this is your third Komodo liveaboard trip--then I suppose it could get old.
I still love seeing the dragons after 100 trips :)

Just make sure the schedule includes the south, you do not want to miss it.
I would look for one that stays out in the park the whole time.
About a year ago I did a trip on the Weta Molas a very budget boat. So budget that they let you book for staying on deck.
It was a 4 day southern trip. Yes we went to Horseshoe Bay, the weather cooperated and I made sure that would be the only reason for the boat to go south.
We didn't do Manta Alley which can be off the hook. But we did do 3 dives in Horseshoe Bay.
What is your budget per day of diving?

Thank you for your message. Budget is not an issue. What are those south dive spots? I'm actually thinking to stay in land, and might take a 3-4 days liveboard from there. What would be the best place/town?

The best dive sites in the south are in horseshoe bay, such as cannibal rock, yellow wall, and eagle point, and torpedo alley for muck/macro.

For land based diving there is a resort in the park that is pretty pricey,(way out of my budget) then there is Scuba Junkies resort just outside the park in the central region. I've been to SJ twice and it's a great operation. And then you have day trips from Labjuan Bajo where there are loads of day boat choices.
Diving from day boats SJ included generally means long days out on the boat and most day boats will only take you as far as the central sites in the park.
Last trip I did a 4day stint on a south itinerary LOB then followed that up with some more time at Scuba Junkies resort.

The best dive sites in the south are in horseshoe bay, such as cannibal rock, yellow wall, and eagle point, and torpedo alley for muck/macro.

For land based diving there is a resort in the park that is pretty pricey,(way out of my budget) then there is Scuba Junkies resort just outside the park in the central region. I've been to SJ twice and it's a great operation. And then you have day trips from Labjuan Bajo where there are loads of day boat choices.
Diving from day boats SJ included generally means long days out on the boat and most day boats will only take you as far as the central sites in the park.
Last trip I did a 4day stint on a south itinerary LOB then followed that up with some more time at Scuba Junkies resort.

I was with Scuba Junkies in Sipadan, it was very good!. Would you remember the name of that other pricey resort in the park? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom