Indonesia / Bali / Komodo - diving tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Careful don't poke the bear! Err I mean Luko.

He did say he doesn't have a $ interest in promoting a deztination. In all the years I've been benifitting from Luko's knowledge I've never seen anything but his honorable opinion. He may have strong opinions but he is an encyclopedia for Indonesia.

Hardly worried about the purported “bear”. ScubaBoard is a place to exchange ideas and recommendations. If you have a commerical interest or are a self-important guru, I’d like to know that. I prefer the opinions of the “collective”, that is ScubaBoard.

It's not just an Indo thing. I've been some places that people rave about and had a very disappointing experience. Some of it is beyond my control (weather and viz for example), but that doesn't change the fact that when I went, my personal experience was not that great.

People have different expectations. People have different personal experiences of a destination. What might have been an epic experience for one diver might be a total let down for another. I don't like this idea of criticising someone for having a different opinion or a different experience of a destination when that opinion or experience can change from one day to the next.

The bear is hibernating. It’s about 3:15am in France now.

Don't try to change the subject! While it isn't a milestone dive you are shedding your wetsuit for as you have now confirmed....For all we know the garment underneath the wetsuit could be hot pink and flossy. That is what I am going with. :D:rofl3:

Don't try to change the subject! While it isn't a milestone dive you are shedding your wetsuit for as you have now confirmed....For all we know the garment underneath the wetsuit could be hot pink and flossy. That is what I am going with. :D:rofl3:

I’m speaking the truth. You can poke the bear all you want, he won’t budge until spring time (which may be in few hours) :D

BTW, good guy wears black, not pink, much less flossy :D

Luko has always been very knowledgeable and has been in many places we'd like to go. His kids take better pics than many of us.

<<California has the best diving>> Yeah, there is some amazing diving here, but sometimes you just can't see it. HA HA HA... Usually I hear that from the dive shop guy who is pushing the new diver to buy the whole cold water gear set. Yeah, it's cool and I've seen amazing things but wearing 70 lbs of gear and a suit that's trying to compress you into a ball just isn't as easy as swimming around in bath water warm water.

On the subject of Luko, I agree - he's a bear! :nyah:

On the subject of Bali diving -- I offer that I really like to dive Bali as a lead-in to somewhere expensive. (Sorry if that denigrates it somewhat as a dive destination.) I like to have a few days of easy Bali diving (specifically Amed) to get rested after a long international trip, get wet, get my gear and head sorted, get my weight exactly how I like it, work out any kinks before going to some destination for which I have a lot of time, money, and psychology invested. The last thing I want to do is spend $1K/day for a liveaboard and find out my mask leaks or that I am too tired to enjoy it.

On the subject of Dan's underwear I make no comment. Pink is a fine color though. :giggle:

- Bill

I agree with others who have posted that a liveaboard is probably the best option for Komodo.

In Bali, I would highly recommend diving in Nusa Penida. You can stay in Sanur on the mainland and get there by speedboat, or even better, stay on the island of Nusa Lembongan. The diving in Nusa Penida features great bio-diversity, and consistent manta ray sightings. From around August to November mola mola can be seen at around 30 meters. Read more about Nusa Penida here: My Mola: Big fish, Little Island – Nusa Penida/Nusa Lembongan, Bali, Indonesia

For more experienced divers that don't mind a bit of current, Candidasa is one of Bali's most beautiful and rewarding dive areas. Read more here: My Mola: Diving Candidasa Bali, Not for the Faint of Heart!

Back
Top Bottom