Indecent exposure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubakJevdm:
:shocked: Shrinkage! C'mon man. I'm sensitive about that.

Just quote George Castanza and yell "I just got out of the pool, I just got out of the pool!" Mid seventies and a seven mil ain't hacking it? Shame Shame........

Kowaliga on Sunday morning will be 51 but it is the first dive of 06. Did the last dive of 05 today in 68 degree water and a drysuit with Goretex underwear. Toasty warm for an old flatulence.

All this talk of 70 + degree water.....Sheesh!

Right now, one item of gear that is mandatory for any diving up here is a chain saw!

We walk on the water to our dive spot around here, kinda makes us feel, well, blessed! That's untill we fire up the chain saw and start cutting our way to the softer water below.

PB4UDIVEDRY:
I've found that zipping the boot over the end of the leggings keeps the water flow to almost nill. If I put the leggings over the zipper, then there is a space caused by the zipper that allows water to enter past the leg seal.

Also, Scubakev, sorry about the shrinkage joke, I just couldn't resist it.

Dan

Just the opposite occurs. There is a seal inside the zipper which is pressed against your leg even more firmly with the pressure from the leg cuff bearing down. Additionally, the booties on the outside of the leggings create a scoop as you move forward through the water, drawing constant water into your boot, if the pressure of that water is forced in it has a tendancy to rush up your leg as well. All the good quality booties today have this seal on the zipper and the seal is at it strongest at the bottom of the zipper (the exposed part) where it bends under the material at a perpindicular angle to any water that would dare make it through the zipper. I would pit my 1/2 an inch of parallel to the hydroplane sealed zipper exposure to your 7 inch circumference hydroplane scoop any day.

Vtdiver2:
A Cold Water diver trick is to Duct Tape your ankles and wrists, essentially getting rid of the water rushing in. After doing that, just before getting in the water, pull your neck seal open and pour a thermos of warm water into your wetsuit. That way the water your wetsuit would absorb once you submerge, is already in the wetsuit and warm. I know many divers that do this and it extends their dives.
Good luck with it,
C-Dawg

nice suggestion, but do you care about the glue damage to the suit, or the neoprene tears?

DiverBuoy:
Just the opposite occurs. There is a seal inside the zipper which is pressed against your leg even more firmly with the pressure from the leg cuff bearing down. Additionally, the booties on the outside of the leggings create a scoop as you move forward through the water, drawing constant water into your boot, if the pressure of that water is forced in it has a tendancy to rush up your leg as well. All the good quality booties today have this seal on the zipper and the seal is at it strongest at the bottom of the zipper (the exposed part) where it bends under the material at a perpindicular angle to any water that would dare make it through the zipper. I would pit my 1/2 an inch of parallel to the hydroplane sealed zipper exposure to your 7 inch circumference hydroplane scoop any day.

I see what you are saying, and it is logical to agree with you, but, as I stated, the boot on the outside worked better for me. When my boots are zipped up over the suit, they are tight enough to prevent scooping of water when in forward motion. Also, on my suit, the leg ends come down to my ankel bone, so thats almost 4 inches deep into my boots. All I really want to say is, people should give it a shot on the innie or outtie thing with their gloves and boots, whatever way works, then stick with it.
I bought new boots a few months ago, so i'll see what happens with the suit in or out when I get into the wetsuit again.

Dan

DiverBuoy:
nice suggestion, but do you care about the glue damage to the suit, or the neoprene tears?

If it does cause any damage you could repair it by using more duct tape. It's sort of a vicious cycle though. :wink:

I use an old 3/2 fullsuit for 72F water. I dive a 5mm Hyperstretch as cold as the upper 50's. Haven't yet found the lowest I can handle with that, 57 is the coldest water I've had it in.

It might be time for a better, or better fitting suit. How old is this one? They do lose their insulating qualities over time.

Just got back from final dive of '05. Air temperature 33 F water temperature was 42 F. Wore my new Pinnacle Extreme semi-dry. Stayed very toasty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom