Indecent exposure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm:
, "You are so cool". Unbelievable. How can they tell?
:huh:

Kevin it must be time to get the dry suit out eah?
see you guys in a week! water must be a bout 72ish now?
Brad

74 degrees and im in my 7mm , right now our water temp is high 60's to 70 degrees and im diving with a full hood. I have a feeling i'll be a dry diver when i get back to the states

howarde:
I am curious... for all of you cold water coo-coo's out there... When you dive in to 50 degree water with a 7mm suit... how long are you in the water for?

i'm with Kevin... I also get cold with the low to mid 70 degree temps... with my 7mm and hood. :D

Still working on my air consumption, that's the limiting factor for me, but to answer your question about 45 minutes per dive. Never feel the cold. :14:

Vtdiver2:
Howard,
...I do get too hot in a 7mm in 70 water and can't wait to get below the first thermocline and get into "comfortable" water.
C-Dawg

I'm with you. When the water temp is above 70 and I'm in a 7mm fj I can't wait for the thermocline. If I'm staying shallow, no gloves or hood too hot!

moneysavr:
Kevin it must be time to get the dry suit out eah?
see you guys in a week! water must be a bout 72ish now?
Brad

It was 73 today. There were 4 people on the boat today who were dry... I was not one of them.

Brad - you'll be down here next week... darn... we're leaving on Wednesday for 2 weeks (back to Colorado) Jan 4-18.

I guess we'll miss you this time.

Scubakevdm:
As South Florida's Atlantic water temps plunge into the mid seventies, my 7 mil just isn't hacking it anymore. Often while I'm leading a group on the reef I'll get chilly even with a hood. Somehow, the divers in my group sense this, especially the girls from the University of Tampa. As soon as we're back up on the boat after the dive they tell me, "You are so cool". Unbelievable. How can they tell?
:huh:

Often locals who have acclimated to their water temperature get cold "faster" than visitors from colder regions. With our body temperature around 98.6 deg F, water colder than that will require heating energy from our bodies.

One thing I might pose, many times I see divers using dive skins and rash guards under their wetsuits, to ease donning. Then once in a while I'll hear one say they are wearing this undergarment to increase body warmth. While that phrase is not entirely accurate, there is a more fundamental issue here. Most wetsuits are designed to allow a little water to wick in, get heated by your body and held there, with a minimum amount of water moving in and out of the wetsuit over time. Once you put a diveskin or rashgaurd under a modern wetsuit design, you just created a gap which allows water to move in and out of the suit much more frequently, which doesn't allow your body time to heat up the water, so in turn you lose heat even faster.

Other aids, if the water temperature calls for it:
(1) An integrated hood helps reduce wicking around the neck area.
(2) How you put on your suit helps too. Like pulling up the cuff on your leggings, then putting on your booties (for open heel fins not full-foot), then dropping your leggings down over the zipper on the booties, to reduce leakage there. The reverse is true on your gloves, put your gloves on over top your sleeves, this will reduce the amount of water that might rush up your sleeves.

Tamas:
Surely you must be joking! 75 in a 7 mil? Dude - that's shorty weather :D
Ya think?eyebrow

DiverBuoy:
Other aids, if the water temperature calls for it:
(1) An integrated hood helps reduce wicking around the neck area.
(2) How you put on your suit helps too. Like pulling up the cuff on your leggings, then putting on your booties (for open heel fins not full-foot), then dropping your leggings down over the zipper on the booties, to reduce leakage there. The reverse is true on your gloves, put your gloves on over top your sleeves, this will reduce the amount of water that might rush up your sleeves.
A Cold Water diver trick is to Duct Tape your ankles and wrists, essentially getting rid of the water rushing in. After doing that, just before getting in the water, pull your neck seal open and pour a thermos of warm water into your wetsuit. That way the water your wetsuit would absorb once you submerge, is already in the wetsuit and warm. I know many divers that do this and it extends their dives.
Good luck with it,
C-Dawg

DiverBuoy:

I've found that zipping the boot over the end of the leggings keeps the water flow to almost nill. If I put the leggings over the zipper, then there is a space caused by the zipper that allows water to enter past the leg seal.

Also, Scubakev, sorry about the shrinkage joke, I just couldn't resist it.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom