In the market for a new reg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well it's time for me to upgrade my regulator. I have narrowed my search down to 3 regs.

1. Zeagle Flathead 7

2.Apex XTX

3. Aqualung Legend

All are basically in the same price range,features,etc. I am looking for any input as to any problems or other nit picky things about these. Really appreciate the input:D

I should probably add that most of my diving in done inland in quarry's where it is cold. I do some deep diving,around 90ft or so.

Last edited:
I have an Aqualung Legend LX and couldn't be happier. My buddy has an Apeks XTX50 and too can't be happier. Side by side, they both breathe exactly the same. I've heard great things about Zeagle regs too, but have no personal experience with them. One thing to look at is world wide serviceability. "That is if you plan on traveling anywhere" Zeagle would be the hardest to get serviced out of country, while Aqualung being the easiest.

The only thing I can say bad about the Legend is its Venturi switch has a tendency to get sand and salt trapped inside of it. A good soaking and tear down solves this easily and is only a nuisance if you leave it in there. Besides that, I've had nothing but good experiences with it.

All of these regs will perform superbly at depth in dirty debris filled cold water, due to their sealed diaphragm design.

I vote Apex.

With the Aqua Lung and Apex being almost identical, I like the looks of the Apex better.

Last edited:
Well it's time for me to upgrade my regulator. I have narrowed my search down to 3 regs.

1. Zeagle Flathead 7

2.Apex XTX

3. Aqualung Legend

All are basically in the same price range,features,etc. I am looking for any input as to any problems or other nit picky things about these. Really appreciate the input:D

I should probably add that most of my diving in done inland in quarry's where it is cold. I do some deep diving,around 90ft or so.

The Zeagle Flathead is new if I'm not mistaken, so you won't get much first-hand info on it, and it's the only one with Miflex hoses.

Adam

Scubapro mk17/S600 or mk25/S600....

Oh wait they weren't on the list, never mind.

Scubapro mk17/S600 or mk25/S600....

Oh wait they weren't on the list, never mind.

4th post in.I figured it would be brought up quicker than that:D

The salt and sand wouldn't that big of an issue for me as i don't get to the ocean very often. I know the Zeagles were made by Apex until Aqualung bought them,so not sure who makes the Zeagles now. I don't think there is much difference in the new Zeagle compared to the old Zeagle except a redesigned 1st stage.

Not on the list but mentioned. Scubapro Mk17-Mk25...look at serviceability, warranty.
Scubapros are solid in both. parts are available and guaranteed..cheaper to service because of the parts warranty...Apex are alos great regs...but parts kits are expensive compared to otehr brands.

I just switched from a Sherwood Blizzard to a Flathead 7 and the difference is night and day. Although I have not had a chance to try it out here in Maine, I have 16 dives in Cozumel on the regs and they were easy breathers. Can't wait to try them out in the cold water.

I went with Zeagle because of their reputation for out of this world customer service, reliablity, and made in the USA. Also, I'm not a big fan of the Aqualung and Apex shops in my area, so that played in as well. From what I've been told, the internal workings of the Flathead 6 & 7 are the same, so you might be able to find a 6 and save a few $$$. Zeagle aslo has the 30% off sale going on now, if you want to go with the 7.

Back
Top Bottom