In the market for a new reg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dockmaster,
Do you know who is making the Zeagle regs now?

A quick visit to Zeagle's website and here's what I found:

"Zeagle's regulators are US made, built under strict controls for quality in our own factory, using state of the art equipment and procedures. Your regulator is one of your most important pieces of gear. No matter what kind of diving you do, you can do it better with Zeagle."

....I know the Zeagles were made by Apex until Aqualung bought them,so not sure who makes the Zeagles now. I don't think there is much difference in the new Zeagle compared to the old Zeagle except a redesigned 1st stage.

My understanding: Sort of the opposite of the statement above. When Zeagle lost their contract with Apex, they designed and built their own regulators... In other words, Zeagle took the Apex designs, made some improvements based on their experience in the field with them, and the result is a very good, solid , easy to service regulator design.

One very big selling point for me with the Zeagles is that you can openly obtain parts for them and do your own servicing. Slightly more difficult with Apex, very difficult with Aqualung.

The Flathead VI's are going for $360 at ZeagleExpress.com I think. This is a stunning price for a great regulator. I just rebuilt a used and abused Flathead VI I got on ebay, and it was a pleasure to work on. I'm keeping an eye on ebay for more Flathead VI's that need some TLC.

Just something to consider.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I havn't tried the flathead but my Zeagle DSV breaths for me. I borrowed the owners of the local shops Apeks XTX for one dive, it also breathed for me, tell you the truth if you blindfolded me and put one in my mouth underwater I don't think I could tell you which was which

Another point to consider is Zeagle is offering 30% discount now.

Yes i have considerd this as well. I may be leaning more for the Zeagle stuff. I own a stiletto and love it. But i do know that some or all of it is made overseas(as the tag says so:doh2: ) So that is why i was wondering who made their regs.

I do like the idea of being able to service my own reg if need be.

Thanks to all of you for your input:wink:

Yes i have considerd this as well. I may be leaning more for the Zeagle stuff. I own a stiletto and love it. But i do know that some or all of it is made overseas(as the tag says so:doh2: ) So that is why i was wondering who made their regs.

I do like the idea of being able to service my own reg if need be.

Thanks to all of you for your input:wink:

Can I ask you for your thoughts on the Atomic Z2, which is also highly rated in reviews and about the same price?

Adam

Of the original 3, this is no way you could go wrong with any of them. I dive a Legend LX ACD and love it. The Flatheads (VI and 7) are amazing regs. From what I remember being told be the Zeagle Sales Rep, they make they own regs now that Apex is owned by Aqualung. Zeagle does have some factories elsewhere, namely Mexico and 1 other place, but the bulk of their gear is made in Zephyerhills, FL.

Not to throw another wrinkle, but Aqualung is offering instant rebates for their stuff. As far as I know the regs over $500 qualify for a $100 instant rebate - at least at the LDS's down here in FL :)

The Z2 is nice, but for me I would only start looking at Atomic on the B2 level. It has the nice swivel system. I like the dual diaphragm that the Legend has.

-Tony

Get the ATX 200 if you can afford it. You will never overbreath it, It's built for coldwater, It has a lifetime warrenty, and Ive beaten the heck out of one on over 200 dives in salt and ice and never had a problem at depth. cold, or heat. It's one heck of a regulator and easy to maintain. Sealed too!!

Back
Top Bottom