In search of octo holder that actually works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are way more living organisms in the water than your buddy's mouth. You're better off kissing a stranger than pulling the reg from your mouth under water.
OTOH, the stuff living in your buddy's mouth is more prone to being bad for you than the average marine bug.

Gripping hand, if you're OK with making out with a random acquaintance you meet on a Saturday night, sharing a reg shouldn't be a major concern.

There are way more living organisms in the water than your buddy's mouth. You're better off kissing a stranger than pulling the reg from your mouth under water.
When I had Lasik surgery and had to wait a certain period of time before diving, the doctor said that in terms of potentially harmful bacteria (etc.), I would be much better off in the ocean than in a chlorinated swimming pool.

Here are the photos of my octo holders:

The first two photos show a new magnetic holder that I've not tried yet.

The third photo shows a simple bungee with cord lock holder. The mouthpiece fits into the elastic loop above the cord lock and then the cord lock is tightened.

When I had Lasik surgery and had to wait a certain period of time before diving, the doctor said that in terms of potentially harmful bacteria (etc.), I would be much better off in the ocean than in a chlorinated swimming pool.
Swimmers' pee dissipates better in the ocean than a confined pool. :)

Agree with Max & John. Ocean good, Pool bad. Well, there's ocean in Nova Scotia and ocean off Sandy Hook or Coney island near NY Harbor, so it does vary.
I took OW course 2 weeks after Lasik and Dr. said to keep eyes closed in the pool when mask is off. I always tried to do that anyway--hate chlorine.
In "normal" ocean water--without pollution warning signs--I believe there isn't much in there that would hurt you if you took a mouthful. I've been doing that for a lifetime and have had no effects. I wouldn't breathe from a strangers mouthpiece out of water--in water I wouldn't mind. I also never blew into a student's mouthpiece when I taught Band--always had a set of my own for each instrument.

Last edited:
@Marie

Take a look at the Scubapro octo holder.
@Marie13

This is the one I meant, holds the octopus firmly, keeps out debris, easy enough to disconnect. Scubapro also make a couple of magnetic ones, know nothing about them.
upload_2017-5-10_14-31-3.png

Gripping hand
OK, I apologize in advance for this totally off-topic post, but this reference got me curious - Do most people here recognize this reference? Is there a significant cross-section of divers who also enjoy fine hard science fiction? If so, it'd be interesting to speculate on the correlating reasons behind that...

OK, I apologize in advance for this totally off-topic post, but this reference got me curious - Do most people here recognize this reference? Is there a significant cross-section of divers who also enjoy fine hard science fiction? If so, it'd be interesting to speculate on the correlating reasons behind that...
Don't ask me. I just love throwing in pop cultural references in my posts whenever it's appropriate. And also when it isn't.

Don't ask me. I just love throwing in pop cultural references in my posts whenever it's appropriate.
Well, it was a cool reference used appropriately here. Niven's one of my favorite authors. It just got me to wondering if the same thing that drives some people to come here looking to learn about and/or share more of the technical aspects of diving (as I assume most who come here do) also contributes to liking sci fi, and in particular, hard sci fi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom