In search of octo holder that actually works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Title says it all. I'm not looking for the necklace, etc. I want a standard rec octo holder that actually holds the dang thing so octo doesn't constantly come loose. I've been diving with octo hose formed into a U shape and stuffed into the right hip D ring on my BP/W harness. That's the only way it's ever not come loose. Neither regular buddy nor instructors for Advanced course this summer are particularly happy with that method.

I've tried these two. Both abject failures.

The rubber loop: Trident Octo Holder with Clip | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Bungee-type loop: Octo Holder with a Clip - Dive Right in Scuba

Suggestions? I've seen magnetic ones, but I think I've also read they can interfere with your compass. My compass is on a retractor on right chest D ring.

I use the first one you mentioned--the simple rubber thing you slip over the mouthpiece. Am curious as to why your octo comes loose. Though I THINK I had one break years back (just wore out), I've never had the octo come out. I do however slip the 2nd stage under a strap, but not when buddy diving. Slipping it under the strap assures me it will never touch sand--not that it would dangle the other way, but I tend to be right close to the bottom a lot hunting shells in low viz, and have spent $100 once to "de-sand" the reg.

Primary on a long hose and secondary on a necklace is the way to go. You're half way there already with your BP/W, you might as well jump the rest of the way in.

Ummm...no.

I use the first one you mentioned--the simple rubber thing you slip over the mouthpiece. Am curious as to why your octo comes loose. Though I THINK I had one break years back (just wore out), I've never had the octo come out. I do however slip the 2nd stage under a strap, but not when buddy diving.

I have no reason why octo comes loose on either one of the holders I linked to. I secure holder right up to zip tie holding mouthpiece on reg, but they still come off.

Title says it all. I'm not looking for the necklace, etc. I want a standard rec octo holder that actually holds the dang thing so octo doesn't constantly come loose. I've been diving with octo hose formed into a U shape and stuffed into the right hip D ring on my BP/W harness. That's the only way it's ever not come loose. Neither regular buddy nor instructors for Advanced course this summer are particularly happy with that method.

I've tried these two. Both abject failures.

The rubber loop: Trident Octo Holder with Clip | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Bungee-type loop: Octo Holder with a Clip - Dive Right in Scuba

Suggestions? I've seen magnetic ones, but I think I've also read they can interfere with your compass. My compass is on a retractor on right chest D ring.
I just use a rubber snorkel keeper - cheap and simple.

Innovative Dura Black Rubber Snorkel Keeper

I loop it through itself on a D-ring with one end and I stretch the other end around the octo mouthpiece (making sure to get it behind the zip tie).

The octo will pull right out if needed and I've never had it come loose. Worst case, the snorkel keeper might break when the octo is pulled out - but they are cheap, so I have several in my save-a-dive kit.

Ummm...no.

Ummm...yes. A necklace bungee is the best way to go.

But since you refuse, a snorkel keeper with one end around the harness and the other loop free and shoving the mouth piece in that loop with it all the way behind the zip tie of the mouth piece will keep it from ever coming out. It's also able to be yanked out when needed still. Or a piece of inner tube on the harness with the hose formed into a u and shoved up in it. Tighter than the hip d ring. Or a bolt snap tied to the hose which will never come loose but then it can't be yanked free.

Still, bungee necklace is the best option. The octo is always secured, you always know your backup reg is right there under your chin, the octo hose is streamlined, and it allows you to use a longer primary hose if you want. If the long hose is a concern you can still use a octo necklace with a normal length primary hose especially for just normal recreational open water. The necklace isn't just for tech diving at all. Some open water classes teach the necklace set up from day 1

I use the kind of hair bands my daughter has laying around the house. Since I'm in the pool a lot I have an endless supply of them and the size is perfect.

R..

Ummm...yes. A necklace bungee is the best way to go.

But since you refuse, a snorkel keeper with one end around the harness and the other loop free and shoving the mouth piece in that loop with it all the way behind the zip tie of the mouth piece will keep it from ever coming out. It's also able to be yanked out when needed still. Or a piece of inner tube on the harness with the hose formed into a u and shoved up in it. Tighter than the hip d ring. Or a bolt snap tied to the hose which will never come loose but then it can't be yanked free.

Still, bungee necklace is the best option. The octo is always secured, you always know your backup reg is right there under your chin, the octo hose is streamlined, and it allows you to use a longer primary hose if you want. If the long hose is a concern you can still use a octo necklace with a normal length primary hose especially for just normal recreational open water. The necklace isn't just for tech diving at all. Some open water classes teach the necklace set up from day 1

Look, I have to keep things standardized as regular rec configuration for Advanced. If I change stuff afterwards, that's on me, but for now, "golden triangle," etc.

For now, sounds like the snorkel keeper is something to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom