DIY Reusable Breakaway / Magnetic Retainers for Regulator Necklace, Hoses, Bolt-Snaps, Accessories, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dived a traditional 2nd, I liked the Scubapro retainer
View attachment 728130

Love em.
I use it w indie twins. Very easy to swap over and I’ve never had one drop a Reg on me.

Does it work with the "Comfo-Bite" style mouthpieces?
aqua-lung-comfo-bite-mouthpiece-black.png

Interesting DIY although I myself will not wear anything magnetic. Tried a ScubaPro magnetic keeper years ago. I used it a few dives before I shelved it because it messed up my compass.
I use this. I have 'used' it 100's of times performing SM S-drills and it's still good as new.
View attachment 728270

That looks like a solid product, and $20 is not bad if you only need 1 or 2.

That looks like a solid product, and $20 is not bad if you only need 1 or 2.
DRIS sells them too, without the Bolt-Snap for $15. No international shipping issues ...

Does it work with the "Comfo-Bite" style mouthpieces?
aqua-lung-comfo-bite-mouthpiece-black.png
Only if the septum moves far enough out of the way so the plug can go into the mouthpiece. It works fine with the plug not inserted, with the mouthpiece held only by the wings. The plug probably adds a little security and keeps stuff out of the mouthpiece

DRIS sells them too, without the Bolt-Snap for $15. No international shipping issues ...
It helps a little, now that Razor sells out of Puerto Aventuras. It cuts down the shipping cost compared to what it used to be when coming from the UK.

Trying some of these because the length seems about right and the little loop should work well with a fastening cable tie or line/bungie tie to retain when separated:
Well, these aren't going to cut the mustard. They just aren't strong enough. :(

Well, these aren't going to cut the mustard. They just aren't strong enough. :(
I assume you're saying the magnets weak? That sucks. Amazon has a fairly generous return policy, so I'd take advantage of that.

The magnets on the one I linked are reasonably strong. (link) I still alternate the magnets as shown in the photos in the OP.

I assume you're saying the magnets weak? That sucks. Amazon has a fairly generous return policy, so I'd take advantage of that.

The magnets on the one I linked are reasonably strong. (link) I still alternate the magnets as shown in the photos in the OP.
I alternated the same way. I just can't see it reliably holding the weight of a reg out of the water against the normal jostling. Stronger magnets, thinner and/or interlocking textured coating might do the trick prevent slipping.

The ideal would have some sort of heavy shoulder that bore the main shear stress, with the magnet holding the components together.

The ideal would have some sort of heavy shoulder that bore the main shear stress, with the magnet holding the components together.

I concur. Here is a necklace clap that operates on that principal. I bought a bunch for my wife.

A 3D printed plastic case inspired by the above design could be formed around a rare earth magnet. Obviously a larger fully encapsulated magnet would be required.

1655168884861.png

I alternated the same way. I just can't see it reliably holding the weight of a reg out of the water against the normal jostling. Stronger magnets, thinner and/or interlocking textured coating might do the trick prevent slipping.

The magnets you ordered just suck. :wink:

The magnets I linked are rather strong. I just did some testing with two brands I have:

* Option 1
* Option 2 - slightly stronger

Both were able to support the weight of this 64oz flask, with some movement/bouncing . Option 2, using the alternating magnets was able to hold the flask, plus about 6-oz of water, and light movement

The only thing that slightly sucks about option-2, is when you first get the magnets, you have to pry them apart a little, but then they're fine. I think the silicon coatings being compressed into each other for a long time slightly "glues" together.

20220613_195245.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom