In search of custom tail weights for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need a tail weight just like the ones pictured, but heavier. The ones pictured are from Diving Weight | Tail Weight and are 1 and 2 kg. I would like the same thing but in 8 or 10 pounds (approx 3.5 or 4.5 kg).

As far as I can tell, nothing is readily available by a manufacturer.

Anyone know a diver or company who makes these sort of custom weights? If I could even get a mold I could pour the lead myself. Thought I'd ask here before trying to make a mold.
Tail-Weight.jpg

Halcyon has a V-weight pouch; can be used as a V-weight vertically centered between the holes, or a tail weight, or both.

1644972984983.png

I used a tail weight pouch when I used to dive doubles. It allowed me to put in 1-5 lbs. DSS used to make them before they closed up shop. It’s on my list of items to sell that I’m no longer using.

If this is to combat being head heavy, have you messed about with wing and cylinder position? I run my doubles in the lowest hole in the plate, the wing as high as it will go, and F1 fins (negative buoyancy). Perhaps something similar may help in your case (or allow the tail weight you already have to suffice). Good luck.

@MolaSquared why do you feel that you need a 10lb tail weight?

With double LP85s and 450 weight undergarments, I need 14 lbs of lead. I get the best trim with 8 lbs as a tail weight and 2 x 3 lbs on the waistbelt. If I use a smaller tail weight, I'm head heavy when the tanks get light. I use Jet Fins and have no air in my boots. I could use ankle weights, but they're frowned upon in my circles.

I haven't tried a 10 lb tail weight yet, but my hope would be to move 2 lbs from my waistbelt to the tail weight. I prefer to have 2 x 2 lbs on the waistbelt.

I can move the cylinders down my back a little to get better trim with a 5 lb tail weight, but then it's tricky reaching my valves.

Tail weights over 8 lbs are very common in California. I've seen them as heavy as 13 lbs.

Halcyon has a V-weight pouch; can be used as a V-weight vertically centered between the holes, or a tail weight, or both.

View attachment 707419

I have and use this, the most I can place in the bottom "tail" is 6# soft weights, and even then it's a bit of a struggle to get the backplate down on the allthread.

6# works for me.

To rule out the easy and obvious- do you have your plate/wing bolt holes set to bring the wing high and tanks low? And upper tank band right at the crown to get the tanks lower?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom