How much tail weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive a drysuit with twin steel 100's. Steel Dive Rite backplate, probably five pounds or so. Scubapro jet fins.

I'm finding that with 6 pounds in my tail weight, I'm still noticeably head heavy. Not undiveable, but I want it dialed. I'll try adding another couple pounds. Makes me curious what kind of weights folks are putting into their tail weights?

Also might it make sense to just switch to a lighter backplate to see if that works in addition to the tailweight? Anyone drysuit diving with steel doubles that uses aluminum?

Yes I use an ali backplate and I it gives me more options on where to put the lead, i.e. tail, v-weight or weight belt. Have you moved your twins as far down your back as you can, you should move the top twinnning band right up to the cylinder break. Then the lower band move it as low as your backplate will allow so the tail weight and v weights sit lower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom