In search of custom tail weights for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need a tail weight just like the ones pictured, but heavier. The ones pictured are from Diving Weight | Tail Weight and are 1 and 2 kg. I would like the same thing but in 8 or 10 pounds (approx 3.5 or 4.5 kg).

As far as I can tell, nothing is readily available by a manufacturer.

Anyone know a diver or company who makes these sort of custom weights? If I could even get a mold I could pour the lead myself. Thought I'd ask here before trying to make a mold.
View attachment 707413
When using this weights. This attaches at the bottom. Do you put washers on the upper bolt to even out the plate?

Bit of an odd suggestion, but have you tried threading a 2 or 3kg weight on the back of your crotch strap above the D ring? It may just mean you can use other solutions a bit easier to spread the load then.
Rich

Bit of an odd suggestion, but have you tried threading a 2 or 3kg weight on the back of your crotch strap above the D ring? It may just mean you can use other solutions a bit easier to spread the load then.

I actually have. It works. I use the Highland weight plate. I hear this is common in the sidemount world.

I view it as a temporary solution. When I use a DPV, I would like that part of my crotch strap free to do tows.

CF284E09-A2A9-4392-9125-886B8A0291E3.jpeg

Just need some more lead

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Two small details to consider:

First is that the extra material above the bolt hole is usually not needed. Our first mold had that and most divers wanted it cutoff because it was too much weight even here in Monterey with thicker undergarments.

Second is I recommend you add a counterbore to the mold to clear a nut so you don't have to cut it after pouring the lead (highlighted in blue)

ETA: I am a bit spoiled and I have counter boring step drills of all sizes; trust me when I say the strings / chips coming off of lead are straight up scary. Aluminum and plastic are meh, steel is dangerous, lead is gonna take a FU^&*ing digit off

1669254824690.png

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Two small details to consider:

First is that the extra material above the bolt hole is usually not needed. Our first mold had that and most divers wanted it cutoff because it was too much weight even here in Monterey with thicker undergarments.

Second is I recommend you add a counterbore to the mold to clear a nut so you don't have to cut it after pouring the lead (highlighted in blue)

ETA: I am a bit spoiled and I have counter boring step drills of all sizes; trust me when I say the strings / chips coming off of lead are straight up scary. Aluminum and plastic are meh, steel is dangerous, lead is gonna take a FU^&*ing digit off

View attachment 754960
I noticed that counter bore in your design right after I posted. Can't believe I missed that when I measured everything. Going to need to add that to the design for sure.

EEDC1074-21FF-412A-94C0-B96543E82EF8.jpeg
0CC1C554-F1E2-420B-95C8-7A24BA070228.jpeg
3227C86E-030E-40F1-B505-079F0B105780.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom