In search of custom tail weights for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 12 pound weight that was made for me about 20 years ago. I don’t use it much anymore as my dives are mostly on single cylinder 130s these days.
06F39C87-1B30-4DAF-A5B9-ADEBB7039862.jpeg

No, it’s secured between the cylinders and the backplate so there is no play in it to move. Mine has discolored a bit over the decades but the holes are still the same. Even just setting it on the doubles without a backplate, it should not have any movement in it. I have seen a few other versions over the years but if they are made correctly for the specific gear you use, they won’t move a bit.

I was planning on using an alum or stainless flat bar with the lead bolted to it. Making it modular

I was planning on using an alum or stainless flat bar with the lead bolted to it. Making it modular

You seem to have a design in your mind already so why so many questions?

Just make your piece, post pics, and let us know how it works out for you.

You seem to have a design in your mind already so why so many questions?

Just make your piece, post pics, and let us know how it works out for you.
yes i do have a design in mind. Just because I have an idea it doesnt mean it will work.

1.) using dissimilar materials causes galvanic corrosion... this is my concern.

2.) bolting lead on a piece of stainless steel ... will the lead deform over time?

i just use 2 lbs of tail weight. so its not that big. though

These v-weights are sandwiched between the back plate and the tank bands; I don't know exactly how many of my version are out there but to my knowledge no one has ever had a problem.

I ended up using this tail weight from @lostsheep. This is the way. Back in 2022, I was unaware how to get one.

yes i do have a design in mind. Just because I have an idea it doesnt mean it will work.

1.) using dissimilar materials causes galvanic corrosion... this is my concern.

2.) bolting lead on a piece of stainless steel ... will the lead deform over time?

i just use 2 lbs of tail weight. so its not that big. though
In Mexico they just use a piece of webbing wood screwed to a chunk of lead and it works fine or get the halycon vweight pouch for that amount.

Back
Top Bottom