In Malaysia till 10th Oct, Where should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to KL end of September. I will be done with work bt the 3rd-4th of Oct. I would like to get 3 days of diving in ANYWHERE in Malaysia (including East Malaysia). Where should I go? I don't want gambles......

I was in Redang end of July and it was great....Tioman a week later was crap......almost seems like a crapshoot! I am prepared to go to Sipadan...but I would be so upset if I had to pay that kind of money out of KL for poor diving conditions....Especially when I fly from halfway around the world....

Perhaps this video will help make up your mind...

The Endless Scooter video

movieposter600.jpg

All the best, James

If you're going to Sipadan, better book early. The local authorities enforce a limit to the number of divers who can dive there each day.

But do consider Pulau Tenggol. It's off the beaten track, but I like it for the wide variety of nudibranches.

Hi,

You are prepared to spend 3 days of diving even in East Malaysia? Have you included the no fly stay?

Assuming a full 3 days plus one extra day you've got. You seem to have a slightly better choice of doing it just at KK itself if you fly direct from KL. The diving there is alright and is better than Tioman. But I have not been to Redang. But comparable to Perhentian. Be prepared to see more of Macros rather than Perlargics.

Alternatively, try Sipadan as what most of the others have mentioned. Try going the night before your pre-planned trip from KL to Tawau. At least you get to be transferred to Mabul or Kapalai..or whatever resort by the next morning before 11am and do your first one or two dives. The last night to be at the resort before the transfer to TAwau and fly off in the afternoon.

I am not sure if you have got adequate time to do your diving at Sandakan; Lakayan as it is pretty short a timing for you.

Maybe first week of Oct, near or is already close of the season, you may try Perhentian or LangTengah, but you got to double check with the dive centre at KL office first.

For western part of Malaysia, you might consider Penang, Paya. But it is more of a one day trip.

One other option that you can consider. Go up north, fly via airasia from KL direc to Phuket, season for Adaman sea starts. In fact, Hin Deang LOB should be ready by then. Not sure of Similans which usually lags by about half a month to a month before the boats set off.

Hope all these helps.

Happy diving

I decided to go to Mabul and dive Sipadan. Will be booking tomorrow to stay at SMART or even the water bungalows. I really hope they are not full and that I will be able to get my dive permit for Sipadan.

Does the diving season really start at Phuket in October? That might be a good option for me too.

I decided to go to Mabul and dive Sipadan. Will be booking tomorrow to stay at SMART or even the water bungalows. I really hope they are not full and that I will be able to get my dive permit for Sipadan.

Does the diving season really start at Phuket in October? That might be a good option for me too.

Just a suggestion look at Layang Layang.....that is supposed to be the best diving in Malaysia...I'm headed there in March....If you cannot get into Mabul...try Kapalai....I really liked the resort.

Just a suggestion look at Layang Layang.....that is supposed to be the best diving in Malaysia...I'm headed there in March....If you cannot get into Mabul...try Kapalai....I really liked the resort.

I believe Layang Laya for the monsoon season from Oct. They are facing the South China Sea. I had a look on their website. Kapalai looks nice too.....much cheaper especially if you have to pay for a Single Suppliment. The only major complaints I have read about the place is that the food gets cold very quickly as they have no warmers for their buffet. Believe it or not, this is the same complaint in Travel Advisor up till recently and has been going on for years! Perhaps they have finally changed this?

FYI,
Borneo divers in mabul is cheaper than Kapalai. not water bangalows though....

Just a suggestion look at Layang Layang.....that is supposed to be the best diving in Malaysia...I'm headed there in March

Really?? Interesting, but I've heard the complete opposite. Haven't been there myself, but everyone I've talked to who have been there recently weren't impressed with the diving available there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom