In Malaysia till 10th Oct, Where should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read reviews on the diving at both Kapalai and Mabul....Interesting that most say the vis in Mabul isn't so good although some of the best Muck diving around. Kapalai though USUALLY has better vis... Can anyone here comment on this?

I am getting myself a Sea & Sea DX1G with the YS-110 strobe set... looking forward to using it on Macro stuff....however, my travelling dive buddy is not into photography....he wants to see the big fish Sipadan has to offer and would rather have good vis.

After discussing things with him, he would rather we go to Kapalai instead...

Hi,

Borneo divers do charge for diving after certain time of the day; think something like 630pm for unlimited diving till I think 8 or 9pm. For Kapalai, think does not charge.

In anyway, get the best out of it and make you you enjoy your stay there. In Oct, you may still experience some rain but that should not deter your boat from moving out as it should clear within half a day.

Happy diving

If you want comfort, good diving and unlimited dives; water is right down your steps...go for Kapalai. Not very much different in pricing. Mabul offers wi-fi. Not sure about Kapalai; think by now they should have it.

I might go in end Oct...keep us posted.

I decided to go to Mabul and dive Sipadan. Will be booking tomorrow to stay at SMART or even the water bungalows. I really hope they are not full and that I will be able to get my dive permit for Sipadan.

Does the diving season really start at Phuket in October? That might be a good option for me too.

Hi,

Yes, Phuket starts their diving season in October. There is liveonboard for some operators. I forgot the names of the two dive centre that does livenboard to both Similans and Hin Deang. But like I said. Very likely Similan will start their season after mid of October.

If you are talking about with islands between Phuket and Phi Phi, by Oct I will say good diving and good viz. I had tried down south Racha Islands as well, very good viz about 3 years back.

Oh...one operator is doing start of season liveonboard think 3D/3N from phuket to Hin Deang from 3 or 4th Oct I somehow cannot find the newsletter they have sent me. If you needed the info, I can forward you the details of the shop to visit in KL for enquiries.

Do have a good trip and keep us posted on your findings!!!

Really?? Interesting, but I've heard the complete opposite. Haven't been there myself, but everyone I've talked to who have been there recently weren't impressed with the diving available there.

If you want to have an impressive diving.... (e.g. a big school of HH, and Th shark, Mantas, devil rays, Tunas & W sharlks etc.....in one week of diving) go there in April or May. the rest of the year.... less impressive..... went there in early May, had great diving but when went there in August... was a bit boring.... all my friends who went there during April & May had great diving, but those who went there other time of the year....... hmmmm.........

I believe Layang Laya for the monsoon season from Oct. They are facing the South China Sea. I had a look on their website. Kapalai looks nice too.....much cheaper especially if you have to pay for a Single Suppliment. The only major complaints I have read about the place is that the food gets cold very quickly as they have no warmers for their buffet. Believe it or not, this is the same complaint in Travel Advisor up till recently and has been going on for years! Perhaps they have finally changed this?

Interesting....I thought the food was great...good selection...put out buffet style....perhaps if you got there late may be cool as everything is outside.....I never found the food cold or cool.....but perhaps I was the first in line...LOL

Really?? Interesting, but I've heard the complete opposite. Haven't been there myself, but everyone I've talked to who have been there recently weren't impressed with the diving available there.

Didn't you start the thread asking about Layang Layang a few months ago???....that made me want to go!...I'll Blame you for my 5K if it is bad diving!!!!...LOL....The research I have done is that it is the Best in Malaysia in fact coming back from Sipadan I met a man on the plane who asked how I liked Sipadan.....being I was there for 10 days 35 dives....vis about 30' and just about all I saw was turtles...I did not have a glowing report on Sipadan....he asked me "why did you not go to our finest diving...Layang Layang"...your thread made me look at it again and I am going during the Hammerhead migration....Pak....Please tell me you got some bad info????....LOL

I decided to go to Mabul and dive Sipadan. Will be booking tomorrow to stay at SMART or even the water bungalows. I really hope they are not full and that I will be able to get my dive permit for Sipadan.

Does the diving season really start at Phuket in October? That might be a good option for me too.

We dive year round from Phuket. The liveaboard dive season to the Similans begins for most ops in October/November. The earliest I've seen, though is October 15 or so. There are a few boats that go out to the Similans throughout the low season if there are enough customers to meet the minimum needed to run the trip without a loss.

depends on monsoon but March could be a bit early. you should go in april / May.

I am going in mid April....have you been there?...but now thinking perhaps I should switch to Tawalli or Beqa/Raki Raki...hmmmm....

Back
Top Bottom