In case of emergency what’s the best tool to cut a harness ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was give a tour of the Breakwater wall and kelp forest to brand-new divers when i saw a fish hook and line caught on the kelp. Being the good little custodian of my underwater world I removed the hook from the kelp and started to gather up the line so I could dispose of it properly. The line appeared to be going to the surface so I though it would just come down to me.
Oops.....
Fishhook in Finger

LOL!!! Fortunately no fishhook in finger! However, OMG! Your story looks painful!!!!!!!!!!

I was just happy, a little embarrassed, but happy to have cleaned up garbage that was a hazard for other divers. Then on the surface I saved face and turned it into a teachable moment about entanglement. Well, at least I hope I did. hehehe

EDIT: OH! I read more of your story. Your lessons learned and comments section is perfect. Glad you're OK!

@BlueTrin ,

Don't just arm yourself and think you are good. Get a helper to bend a piece of 2" webbing into a 'rainbow' and cut it from the top. Next, have it bent into a 'U' and cut it.

det cord

Or just chew through it if buckle went to lock-up.

LOL!!! That's awesome. Now I have the giggles.

Yeah, but at least he got out of his BCD!

For some dives I've been known to carry diagonal cutting pliers, bolt cutters, cold chisel, hacksaw,
Those dives wouldn't by any chance be wreck dives, would they?

t's doesn't need to be something Crocodile Dundee would carry around but a nice sharp knife you can get to with one hand.
Problem is, almost any blade material which doesn't eventually corrode and become useless when used for diving (even if you rinse it properly and grease it after every dive) is pretty crappy for holding a good edge. Titanium is one of the worst metals for holding an edge, and the more corrosion-resistant the steel is, the worse it is for holding an edge. Ceramic edges can be very nice and sharp, but they're very prone to chipping. I still haven't encountered a steel - or other metal - which is both durable in saltwater and able to get and hold a good edge.

So IME "nice sharp" and "durable in saltwater" is pretty difficult to find in one single material. Which is why I carry a knife which can be sharpened to and hold a half-decent edge, plus a ceramic trilobite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom