In case of emergency what’s the best tool to cut a harness ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
the only cutting tool I have on me is a trilobite but I was wondering: since I use a harness shouldn’t I carry a pair of shears ?

I think in case of emergency, you are supposed to cut any harness to unkit the casualty. Would make sense to have a pair of shears in me then, isn’t it ?

Somewhat surprisingly, shears aren’t always the fastest method for cutting webbing.

Trilobite and a serrated knife are very fast.

Somewhat surprisingly, shears aren’t always the fastest method for cutting webbing.

Trilobite and a serrated knife are very fast.
Thanks so I am all sorted with my trilobite.

Would you recommend me to get a second cutting tool ? Either another trilobite or a knife ?

trilobite or some sort of z-knife is critical. I use a Benchmade 7, but get wicked discounts on them. In the ocean I carry shears, but not for cutting webbing. It's the rest of the nasties in the ocean that have me worried. wire being the big one. The knives won't go thru that

Would you recommend me to get a second cutting tool ? Either another trilobite or a knife ?

I recommend a second cutting tool kept in a manner that you can get to one if you only have one hand available. I carry three or more depending on where I'm diving and what I'm doing. Normally it is a Trilobite, shears, and BFK, sometimes I add a small sharp knife.

For some dives I've been known to carry diagonal cutting pliers, bolt cutters, cold chisel, hacksaw, but I digress.

Bob

A modestly sized “BFK” is a nice compliment to a trilobite IMO. I’d you can’t fix your problem with those two tools then I’m not sure anything else is going to help.

Thanks so I am all sorted with my trilobite.

Depends on what you think you’ll encounter. A knife or trilobite won’t cut steel leader wire. Shears in a pocket are a good option.

the only cutting tool I have on me is a trilobite but I was wondering: since I use a harness shouldn’t I carry a pair of shears ?
Cutting tools are situational. If I had to pick one it would be a trilobite style. Makes fishing line disappear, even that goddamn SpiderWire crap. Love to meet the jackass who invented that s**t.

Next would be a pair of shears for slimy nylon rope and the like. Last would be a small point knife, I keep mine on my crotch strap, posted that config before...

I think in case of emergency, you are supposed to cut any harness to unkit the casualty. Would make sense to have a pair of shears in me then, isn’t it ?

Your trilobite is the best tool for cutting a harness so you're good there. As for your questions about shears or another knife I would totally get a knife. It's doesn't need to be something Crocodile Dundee would carry around but a nice sharp knife you can get to with one hand. I have a nice little titanium squeeze lock knife from AquaLung that mounts directly to my BCD. I only needed to use it once but I was so glad I had it or my dive would have really sucked.

I was giving a tour of the Breakwater wall and kelp forest to brand-new divers when i saw a fish hook and line caught on the kelp. Being the good little custodian of my underwater world I removed the hook from the kelp and started to gather up the line so I could dispose of it properly. The line appeared to be going to the surface so I though it would just come down to me. Turns out it was a LOT of line and it went up, then back down, then around the kelp and, unknown to me, behind me in the sand. So I'm rolling up this fishing line and suddenly my fins and ankles are pretty darn entangled. I was able to hold onto the line I already gathered with my left hand, unsheathe the knife with my right and cut the line around my legs and fins.

I've had that knife for almost 2 years and it has never been used and going forward I hope it is never used again but it was really nice that I had it that day.

OK. I'm done rambling. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom